Sound advice for building a system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

After a great deal of time trawling the web I'm getting slightly confused as to how to best go about putting together a first HIFI system and would really appreciated any advice...I want to put together a nice sounding system for digital sound (computer listening and video/audio editing) and listening to my vinyl.

I have a pair of Linn Keilidh speakers given to me as a starting point. I want to spend around £300 on an amp, around £300 on a turntable and £200 on a DAC. In 5/6 months I plan to purchase some B&W 685 speakers to replace the Linn's so the amp should be ideally a good pairing for the B&W and not so much the Linn, but I don't want to compromise too heavily to begin with so I'm looking for an amp that will work well with both speakers if possible?

So far I am thinking along the lines of: NADC55BEE, NADC326BEE, Cambridge Audio 650A, Pioneer AA6, Audiolab 800S.....I'm also happy to go second hand if any can recommend a good amp to keep my eyes open for? Does anyone have experience of the above amps with either of the speakers?

Running from the computer am looking at the CA DACMAGIC or Apogee
Duet
(would give me interesting recording options). Is a DAC
recommended to get good quality sound from my computer (MAC G5)?

As for the turntable am thinking along the lines of Rega P3-24 or PROJECT DEBUT 3.

I guess my fundamental question really is, what am I missing? There is so much info. out there and it's very daunting to spend this amount of money so would really appreciate any advice. I keep on thinking that I have overlooked something in the above info that is essential (and costly) for putting together a nice sounding system. My plan is to whittle down my options and then demo a couple of options in London, a final question....can anyone recommend somewhere in South London to do this?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The Cambridge Audio 650A is highly rated in all the reviews I have read* and considered quite 'bright'. So partnering with a CA DacMagic (quite warm in my experience) should make a pretty good pairing in theory. (And not a little 'same company' synergy too.)

*Even getting rave reviews and making part of the "System of the year" award system in a UK magazine better known for reviewing systems costing at least ten times as much! See Cambridge Audio's website.

TRENDING THREADS