Sony W2000 or Panasonic TH42PV70EY ??? Before I go MAD!!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I am in the process of investing in a new TV for the first time in almost 7 years, kicking out my trusty 32" Panasonic CRT for a nice new flatscreen.

I have narrowed my search down to 2 models which seem to offer the best value here in Ireland at the moment - the Sony KDL W2000 and the Panasonic TH42PV70EY. I have bought the mags, crusied the net and talked the talk with the guys in the shop but just as I decide on one I am pushed towards the other.

Price is not really an issue as both as selling here for about the same (Sony probably about £150 dearer) and size doesn't really matter (40 or 42" when are about just right for me) so it comes down to which is better.

Your supertest gives the PX70 5 stars - so first question - is the PV70 the same model? Maybe a stupid question but it is the only Panasonic 42" plasma in the Irish shops so I presume it is? I can't seem to get a review of the W2000 anywhere but it seems highly regarded.

Advice in the shops is that for sports go with the Panasonic but then I'm told that if I'm looking to futureproof the Sony is a better buy - is it more advanced? Both are 1080p?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Anthony

A

Anonymous

Neither is future proof or not future proof. Both offer the very latest in technologys.
In the past I have always prefered Sony CRT tvs over Panasonic (both good). But since the introduction of realistic priced flat screens I love the Panasonic plasma more than the Sony lcd.
I currently own a Pana plasma and my friends either own the Sony lcd or a Pana plasma. Both are very good picture quality but the plasma edges things for colour and black definition.
The Pana PX is 1080i where the PZ is 1080p. The PZ is 'more' future proof

Brent

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply.

Can anyone advise where the PV70 sits? Is it a local equivelant of the PX or the PZ (it is the more expensive of the 2 42" Panasonice models available in Ireland so guessing the PZ?)

A

Anonymous

The W2000 has been superceded by the W3000 so isn't the "latest" by any means. It also suffered from clouding issues. Don't really know much about that Panasonic.

A

Anonymous

I have looked up the PV70 and it looks like it's the euro version of the PZ. 1080p 10000:1 contrast etc etc

Brent

A

Anonymous

I am in the same boat as you Meathman, although added to my list is the Panasonic TX37LZD70. All 1080p but I am not sure about the 24 fps. I know the Sony 40W2000 doesn't, but I am unsure about the two Panansonics.

Good luck!!

A

Anonymous

emotion-21.gif

Thanks again to everyone for all your help. The Panasonic (PV70) seems to be the one which most would favour and to be honest was the one I was swaying towards but mindful of the last advice I received in a shop which was that the W2000 was the way to go to futureproof then still havce some nagging doubts in my mind.

I am thinking of adding a PS3 to the mix also - any advantages of the Sony over the Panasonic here?

Thanks again for all your help.

Anthony

A

Anonymous

To help you to eliminate the W2000 out of the equation read my question: "Samsung makes panels and other parts for Sony"
I am in the process of buying the Samsung LE40F86BD
Good luck

A

Anonymous

Hello

I recentley bought a Panasonic TH-42PZ70EA and I'm very pleased with it.

It is Full HD 1080p and has a 24 fps HD Digital Film Specification

Regards

A

Anonymous

hey meathman the PV is irish model the PX is uk model, difference is they get digial tuner which we don't need at the moment. also these models are only HD READY NOT 1080P .THE PZ or irish PY are full 1080p again only dif is digital tuner in uk PZ model. also what shop do you plan to buy from? hope this helps from a cork-boy!

A

Anonymous

emotion-21.gif

Thanks for your help lads. Have looked in Peats and DID. Peats were offering a ?400 with the W2000 but were charging over the odds at 1699 for a TV which is ?100 cheaper elsewhere.

I think I've made up my mind and am going for the plasma - thing is now I'm torn between whether to buy the PV70 or the PY70 which I see on Komplett.ie for ?1,863.

Got any opinions on the 2 models or the retailers?

Thanks again

Anthony

A

Anonymous

Hi Meathman,

I have just bought the PV70 model today awaiting delivery next week, done the deal at peats. Spend a bit of time viewing it in the store and it looks really great. Now need to get rid of the CRT.

A

Anonymous

hi, the PV is just hd-ready where as the PY is Full HD so the PY is the one to buy specially if you are going to be watching blu-ray/hd dvd content or gaming ps3/xbox. couple of friends use komplett with no problems but i would check Harvey Norman think there is one in Swords retail park probably closest to you

A

Anonymous

Ok - have decided on the Panasonic due to the overwhelming support they are getting no matter where I look (except for that one sales guy whose motives I am now questioning!).

The PV70 retails here for ?1500 (about £1,100). This is the Irish equivelant of the PX70 except without the Freeview receiver which is of no use here anyway. It is HD Ready but not Full HD.

The PY70 sells for about ?2000 (£1450). The irish version of the PZ70 again without the Freeview receiver. Full HD.

The TV in all reality will probably be used 80% for SD with the reminaing 20% through the PS3 being gaming and Blu Ray movies. I have no plans to upgrade to Sky Sports HD at the moment but might in a couple of years time.

Is is really worth forking out an extra ?500 for the PY70 in these circumstances?

Thanks for the tips.

Anthony

A

Anonymous

would'nt think so most PS3 games are 720 anyway and sky HD is also 720p plus 50" seems to be the minimum tv size to get noticeable difference between 720/1080.

A

Anonymous

This has been a really informative discussion, thanks lads. Looking at the Harvey Norman brochure here beside me though I'm still a little confused. They have the Panasonic TH-42PV7EY at ?1499 and the TH-42PV70EY at ?1099.

Now the latter has very little text attached to it's description while the former has the following - PC input, HD optimizer, advanced 3D colour management, motion pattern noise reduction Viera Link. But I ask you, is all that worth ?400 extra? And would you go for the ?1099 model or is it missing something important? Thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

i think the info might be slightly wrong! The PV7 is the entry level model,next is the PV70 followed by the PV700 being top of this range so those prices should be reversed. There are some important differences {1}pv70 contrast 10,000:1 pv7 8,000:1 {2}70 has 2 hdmi input pv7 only has 1.Very little referance to pv7 model in any search i've done.personally i'd avoid pv7 will probably get pv70 myself after xmas and having 5 star rating you can't go wrong really. If u want info check this- http://www.panasonic.co.uk/plasma-tv/index.htm

A

Anonymous

Hi again

Went to buy the PV70 last weekend and it was sold out. Should be back in stock next week so I'm told. It is retailing at ?1450-1500 with the PV7 selling for ?200 less. The sales guy tried to push the PV7 saying the only difference is that the PV70 can accept the laptop input but aside from the fact that I would want laptop input I steered clear much for the same reasons as Marvins - ie cannot find any mention of the PV7 model anywhere.
Was looking again at the Sony D2390 (Could be wrong on the model no but something like that?) and have to say I can't see anything wrong with the blacks on it but the sales guys reckon that for sport and PS3 the Panasonic wins eveytime but that there is a big difference with Blu Ray movies on the 1080p PY70 model or the Sony v the PV70 which is 1080i.
Personally I doubt there is ?500 of difference between them but finding it impossible to do a side by side test anywhere.

Still haven't bought - the PV70 is still the one I'm thinking of - unless anyone can convince me otherwise....

Anthony

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts