Sony STR-DG820 or STR-DA2400ES

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi!

I'm about to buy a new receiver soon, and it will most likely be a Sony (since they match the looks of my other equipment quite well).

So, I'm choosing between these two models. DA2400 seems like the better one of course, but I wonder if I really need it. I can live without upscaling (most of my connected equipment upscale themselves anyway and the TV still does a decent job upscaling in the few rare cases that I need it).

Judging by the specs, the 820 will do fine for me, except for maybe one thing. The 820 seems to be a 8 ohm-only receiver, and my front speakers are 4 ohms and surround/center are 6 ohms. I've read some posts from people saying that this doesn't matter that much if you don't crank up the volume to the max for a long time, but I'm still a bit worried. I don't think my speakers are that heavy for the receiver though, and they have a sensivity of 93 db. And I rarely play anything on really high volume since I live in an apartment.

I currently use an old Yamaha RXV-430 with those speakers and it sounds good to me, but I need to upgrade to get hdmi inputs and the yamaha receiver also doesn't match my other equipment.

So I'm wondering if the 4 ohm-issue really is an issue here and also in general, if the DA2400ES sounds that much better than the DG820 that it's worth almost twice the money? I saw that both the receivers got great reviews here, but since they are in different price ranges, I don't really know how they compare to each other soundwise.

Thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

hi there, new today to this forum stuff but i could'nt help myself as i too am looking for a new reciever and have been looking at the 820, if you don't need to upscale then this would be the amp for you as it has most to offer at a superb price. heres a tip... if you sign up to richer sounds vip club online they sometimes send a reduced price offer for this amp to you as i have been offered it on a few occaions for the meager price of £229.99. just waiting to pay off my ps3 and then this amp will be mine. it is louder than my current sony amp, sets itself up, has all the new sound decodings, has plenty of hdmi inputs and comes in black to match the ps3. hope this helps. kind regards. darren.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Hellberg:
Hi!

I'm about to buy a new receiver soon, and it will most likely be a Sony (since they match the looks of my other equipment quite well).

So, I'm choosing between these two models. DA2400 seems like the better one of course, but I wonder if I really need it. I can live without upscaling (most of my connected equipment upscale themselves anyway and the TV still does a decent job upscaling in the few rare cases that I need it).

Judging by the specs, the 820 will do fine for me, except for maybe one thing. The 820 seems to be a 8 ohm-only receiver, and my front speakers are 4 ohms and surround/center are 6 ohms. I've read some posts from people saying that this doesn't matter that much if you don't crank up the volume to the max for a long time, but I'm still a bit worried. I don't think my speakers are that heavy for the receiver though, and they have a sensivity of 93 db. And I rarely play anything on really high volume since I live in an apartment.

I currently use an old Yamaha RXV-430 with those speakers and it sounds good to me, but I need to upgrade to get hdmi inputs and the yamaha receiver also doesn't match my other equipment.

So I'm wondering if the 4 ohm-issue really is an issue here and also in general, if the DA2400ES sounds that much better than the DG820 that it's worth almost twice the money? I saw that both the receivers got great reviews here, but since they are in different price ranges, I don't really know how they compare to each other soundwise.

Thanks in advance.

It depends on what speakers you have. The 2400es will be a better sounding amp but if your speakers are budget sats or not that great traditionals, the 820 would be fine. If you have really good speakers, I would definitely go for the 2400es.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:
It depends on what speakers you have. The 2400es will be a better sounding amp but if your speakers are budget sats or not that great traditionals, the 820 would be fine. If you have really good speakers, I would definitely go for the 2400es.

Well, I guess my speakers fall into the budget category. Proson Conquest 66 (front speakers) with matching center and surround speakers. I paid around £350 for all five speakers a couple of years ago, so I can't say they were expensive. Still, they sound very good to me and did get some nice reviews at the time and was said to sound a lot like more expensive speakers.

I have no doubt that the 2400ES would sound better than the 820, I'm just curious about how big the difference is, if anyone has compared them both. And I don't want to buy a receiver much worse than my old one, so I guess I'm also hoping that the 820 is at least equal to my old Yamaha 430 in terms of sound quality.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Although things have moved on, the Sony is still a budget receiver full of cheap components and the build quality etc. is not up to par with the 2400ES. There is more to judge than the feature list and if you're looking at an upgrade, I wouldn't be looking at a bottom of the range receiver. I'm sure any one of next models up from the likes of Yamaha (763), Denon (1909), Pioneer (918), Sony (2400ES) and Marantz (SR5003) would be better candidates.

A

Anonymous

Just bought on of these. I'm impressed by sound quality and playthrough. Still learning to drive it properly but would recommend it. I got it for £230. Shopped around for a while but got it from Priceless Electronics. Played some HD content through it and seems to handle it well. Even links to Apple laptop well via DVI.

A

Anonymous

d4v3pum4:
Although things have moved on, the Sony is still a budget receiver full of cheap components and the build quality etc. is not up to par with the 2400ES. There is more to judge than the feature list and if you're looking at an upgrade, I wouldn't be looking at a bottom of the range receiver. I'm sure any one of next models up from the likes of Yamaha (763), Denon (1909), Pioneer (918), Sony (2400ES) and Marantz (SR5003) would be better candidates.

Well, I guess you have a point. However, I've also seen many people arguing that the 2400ES does not deserve to be in the ES-range, that it's worse than old ES-receivers and similar to for example STR-DG920. So that also makes me wonder if the difference between 2400 and 820 really is that big..

The nice reviews on the 820 in combination with its price tag makes it an interesting choice, but if I can get a good deal on the 2400es, I'll probably buy that one instead. Still haven't found any really good deals here in Sweden though, but maybe I will before it's time to buy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts