Sony PS-HX500 or alternative?

F

FunkyMonkey

So I snapped up a £299 Sony turntable yesterday as I had my eye on it in the summer but teh £400-450 RRp was ridiculous.

The question is, is this the best turntable I can get for under £300.

I was tempted by the Rega P2 but I do not want to go over £300.

I currently have a Pro-Ject Essential II which is pretty good but I do not like the inconvenience of changing the belt for 33 and 45 rpm. Too fiddly for my shaky sausage fingers. Sweet sound for the £124 I paid for it second hand.

What attracted me to the Sony was the knob for speed change and also the sleek low profile looks, and also the lossless recording including DSD 5.6MHz.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
FunkyMonkey said:
So I snapped up a £299 Sony turntable yesterday as I had my eye on it in the summer but teh £400-450 RRp was ridiculous.

The question is, is this the best turntable I can get for under £300.

I was tempted by the Rega P2 but I do not want to go over £300.

I currently have a Pro-Ject Essential II which is pretty good but I do not like the inconvenience of changing the belt for 33 and 45 rpm. Too fiddly for my shaky sausage fingers. Sweet sound for the £124 I paid for it second hand.

What attracted me to the Sony was the knob for speed change and also the sleek low profile looks, and also the lossless recording including DSD 5.6MHz.

You own it now. It does everything you want it to do and is generally well respected. Listen to it and enjoy, as there is always likely something better out there if you look, but often what we have is quite good enough until we actually seek out a fault

F

FunkyMonkey

muljao said:
You own it now. It does everything you want it to do and is generally well respected. Listen to it and enjoy, as there is always likely something better out there if you look, but often what we have is quite good enough until we actually seek out a fault

It is yet to be dispatched so I could cancel if I want. So I have nto even heard it yet. It's last minute doubts I suppose!

It is much more versatile than, say, a Rega, as it does more. Are you going to transfer LPs to digital files?

It is best thought of as a closed system, by which I mean one that you don't tweak or upgrade. Just plug and play.

F

FunkyMonkey

nopiano said:
It is much more versatile than, say, a Rega, as it does more. Are you going to transfer LPs to digital files?

It is best thought of as a closed system, by which I mean one that you don't tweak or upgrade. Just plug and play.

It seems the cartridge, although adeuqte, is the weak point of the system.

Having done some research it seems there are no real negatives, so I am going to stick with the Sony and if not happy, I will upgrade the cartridge.

I do expect to be happy.

Thanks for all advice.

F

FunkyMonkey

Put on Rage against the Machine last night by way of a goodbye to my Project.
Sony arrives tomorrow.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts