Sony LCD problems/Room lighting

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I can't comment on the particular sony issues very 'popular' at the moment but like to say the following;

It is not a good idea to watch tv (especially LCD's with their inherent brightness) in a dark room. Projectors, which have lower light outputs are a different matter but tv screens are probably better watched with some ambient lighting which will have the dual purpose of reducing eye strain and improve the perceived picture quality.

A low light output spot (or multi color led strips available from IKEA and others) behind the tv for example will enhance perceived black levels yet at the same time make your eyes less sensitive to issues such as clouding/lcd light bleeding and obviously also reduces fatigue.

I have a decent set and although it can look almost completely black in a dark room, viewing it with ambient lighting is much nicer, detracting from any picture flaws which any TV suffers from in one way or another.

I will opt for the LED back lighting (strips which will be attached to the back of the set. 7 different colours and variable shades in between are selectable) though if I understand correctly, LED's can reduce the eyes receptiveness to colour on-screen to a very small extend as opposed to a spot or other warmer light source. Looks amazing though, a bit like philips ambilight.

Regards

A

Anonymous

Any particular models/brands you canÿrecommend? ÿI've been considering adding some ambient lighting behind my tv for a while, but not got round to it yet!

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Yes, that would be quite interesting to try. What sort of backlight do you need to have? Is there a special type of light, or would a normal table lamp work (please don't laugh if that's a really stupid question)?

My 40W4500 doesn't have any noticeable backlight bleeding/clouding issues, but I'm always seeking to enhance the viewing experience if I can, so it might be something to try.

Cheers

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I have a philips living colour lamp befind my tv - is remote controlled and you can select the colour which i tend to change depending on what i am watching so i tend to watch football with it green ect you can also alter the brightness and saturation levels to suit viewing/mood

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts