Sony Bravia KDL-EX503 Motion Issues

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey guys I am having a bit of trouble with my Sony,

When I first brought the set I thought it was fantastic and looked very smart but I have noticed some problems with motion on the set. First problem is motion smear, every movement or scene on screen is lingered by irritating motion smear/trail, sometimes its not very noticeable but sometimes it is and it is very off putting. Second problem is with the Motionflow, I heard the 503 handled motion well and the the 100hz had minimal problems but I still see judder and see glitches here and there and on some occasions almost as if the Motionflow is not working but suddenly kicks in ablet too late. I am not sure if these problems are normal because even the review on this website praise's the 503's motion handling or would it be wiser to exchange the set for either the same TV or try something else, something like the LG LD790 with 200hz? Or will that have some motion issues of its own? Please help!

A

Anonymous

I tried but when I turn it off the motionflow the movement looks worse and I can't stand judder and motion blur. Thanks for the reply btw

A

Anonymous

Hey MrJay60

I have the same issues as you regarding the smearing I only noticed this after a few weeks with this set but that was due to having so many problems previously with backlight bleed on various Sony sets and also have that problem again with my 40w5810!!! So I do not know if I had this smearing issue onthe other sets I had. I have managed to improve the situation somewhat with tips from this forum I raised my contrast from 75 to 90 that helped a lot but it does seem to be that the worse the video quality the worse the smearing!!! It is usually noticeable in dark or darker scenes say someone's black hair moving accross a grey background I also notice it a fair bit on ps3 games for example assasins creed brotherhood(great game btw)

Regarding the motion judder you are experiencing that winds me up too I also get that but usually on shows like hells kitchen usa or whatever when there are a lot of irregular camera use! The best way i judge motion is on panning shots or general moving shots when there is a lot going on in the background the type of motion issues you are discribing I do not think even sony's 400htz or whatever the next one is called will handle as those very quick camera moves or pans are just too fast go look at a plasma intore they judder too infact over christmas I was watching someone's CRT and was shocked to see all the judder but that was only a 28 inch and it was a 50htz set.

I have my motionplus on standard too fake on high plus film mode on 1 as on 2 it is not much of a difference to my eyes.

I hope this helps.

Jamie.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Snakey:

that the worse the video quality the worse the smearing!!! It is usually noticeable in dark or darker scenes say someone's black hair moving accross a grey background I also notice it a fair bit on ps3 games for example assasins creed brotherhood(great game btw)

Thats a fault of LCD pixel response. I dont think any LCD will ever completely remove the problem as its a fault of the technology itself.

festing11

Apr 6, 2009
Visit site
I have this very same tv. All good so far. So much better than my last LCD. Bit of a silly question but do you have it set on film mode for all types of viewing or just when watching blurays?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
festing11:Bit of a silly question but do you have it set on film mode for all types of viewing or just when watching blurays?

Bit of a strange one this

Technically, blurays displaying 24Hz material 'should' be set to FILM MODE 1

All other material should be set to FILM MODE 2 (The film mode works out the correct flagging to display content correctly)

However, in my experience, FILM MODE 1 puts extra processing into the picture making some scenes look odd with movement. So id stick to FILM MODE 2 for everything personally. (or OFF if you have any problems)

FILM MODE 1 could be used to smooth out awful movement in some cases. But it shouldnt really be used as such.

festing11

Apr 6, 2009
Visit site
When you change to 'film mode 1' etc, does this change your colour, contrast etc? Reason i'm asking is because i've set all this up with the thx feature from a bluray .

T

the record spot

No issues here; I had some football on of late and rugby and it did well with both. Motionflow on High and very impressed so far. Certainly no issues around smearing, or motion trails, even on standard setting.

EDIT: Incidentally, what screen size do you have for this model? 32", 37"...?

TRENDING THREADS