Sony BDPS350 Or Panasonic DMPD35

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just bought the Sony BDPS350 but any opinions on what you guys and girl would pick?

I can still take the Sony back and get the Panasonic if the choice is really one sided.

(I will be using it for Blu-ray but mainly DVD Up-Scaling also not used for surround sound just sterio)

Any help would be great! 

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Hi, I read somewhere (think it was on these forums) that the Panasonic just shades the Sony on picture quality..but as I don't have either, I cant offer any personal knowledge....Hope thats some help..!!

A

Anonymous

The Pana BD35 is clearly the superior player between the two. I've tested both and found this to be true. Have you not read the reviews in the magazine?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
ValianTX:
The Pana BD35 is clearly the superior player between the two. I've tested both and found this to be true. Have you not read the reviews in the magazine?

The reviews in the mag and the experts on the forum (Clare, Andrew et al) suggest that the difference in these two players is minimal. Certainly not even a side step. No reason to change player in my opinion.

A

Anonymous

Yes, but the Pana BD-35 IS the superior player between the two.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
"It doesn't quite have the solidity of the Sony BDP-S350 but it's a more than capable machine and even in the face of falling prices still deserves five stars."

Hardly a resounding triumph for the Panasonic, I'd say. ÿ I'm sure owners of either machine could be well satisfied even if there are marginal differences in favour of one or the other.

A

Anonymous

I will chime in here as I've seen both in action. If you were to compare them side by side using quality components and speakers I think you would see that the Panasonic performs better in terms of video and sound, however, most people do not do a side by side comparison and would find the Sony more than acceptable by any standards. Since you already have the Sony I would not go out and exchange it. Just hook it up and enjoy it. Besides, the Panasonic BD35 has been discontinued, at least where I live, and they are scarcer than scarce to find. I tried yesterday to find one for a friend with no luck. Also, I have posted a problem I have with my setup where my Onkyo receiver does not indicate it is getting a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack from a disc played on my Panasonic. The sound is still phenomenal so I don't know if I am getting the HD sound and the indicator just fails to light or what but this is a major annoyance at any rate and anyone with an Onkyo 606 and up should be aware of this. Hope this helps. Laurie

A

Anonymous

Yes, I have done a side by side comparison, and the Pana BD35 is the clear winner in terms of picture quality but the Sony does have the edge in sound. Picture quality is more important to me, hence my Pana BD35 purchase.

It's odd that your Onkyo does not disply TruHD or Master HD Audio. Mine shows these on the screen when a blu-ray disc is played with the appropriate soundtrack. You could perhaps look at a thread I started on this very issue and see if the settings work for you, as it did for me.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
ValianTX:Yes, but the Pana BD-35 IS the superior player between the two.

But you said earlier that it was "clearly" superior and that is the debate. My findings are the mag and reviewers rated the Panas and Sonys in this order; Pana 55, Sony 550, Pana 35, Sony 350. Also has been mentioned is that the two Sonys are the same in video terms and you admit that the 350 has the edge sonically over the Pana 35. If you changed your kit each time a model came out that was a smidge better, albeit arguably better, you would never have the same set up. To go from the Sony 350 to the Pana 35 would be ridiculous in my opinion.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
I have the Sony s350 and very pleased with it to. As mentioned by Gerrardasnails the magazine found very minimal differances between the two machines (Video slightly better on the Panny and sound slightly better on the Sony). Dont forget The Sony is still a 5 star machine.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardsnails - yes, it is superior to the BDPS350 (I maintain that) and that's precisely why the Pana is the award winner and not the Sony.

A

Anonymous

Thought i'd jump in here as we seem to have a few Panasonic biased people. I demo'd both units with the amplifier I own (Pioneer LX51), the Sony was better with sound but no discernable difference with picture so for anyone to claim there is a marked difference between the two is exagerating some what! If you own either the Sony or Panasonic you have an excellent piece of equipment that has finally usurped the PS3 as an affordable Blu ray player.

I bought the Sony, decision came down to better sound and ultimately a good price and as an added bonus I was then rang by my local dealer (two weeks down the road) who informed me that I was entitled to 3 free Blu ray discs!

Having owned the Sony for a month or so I can highly recommend its Blu Ray, DVD and CD playback qualities, will I be upgrading again? of course I will but I will wait until there is a marked improvement over what this unit does (and the Panasonic).

A

Anonymous

I am not Panasonic biased nor any other brand biased. I simply go with the best value for my money.

My decision to buy the Panasonic was based on the results of this very magazine, which voted it Product of the Year in the £200-£300 blu-ray player category and also the fact that I tested both the Pana and the Sony side-by-side, and preferred the Pana.

In my opinion, the reviews concurred with my own observation. Simple.

A

Anonymous

I have the Sony and love it.
Blu Ray pictures are vivid, bold and perfectly controlled. Sound is punchy and clear, much better than my previous Philips DVD.

Upscalling is also impressive, bringing much of the blue ray quality to SD Discs.

A

Anonymous

Hi there guys thanks for all replys!

I feel like i have started a bit of a heated debate there, Anyway thinking i may just stay with the Sony as it is more picture im looking for (as i said only using sterio not surround) but if its only minimal picture difference between them dont think i will notice much of a different between the 2. Just one question though the BDP350 is profile 1.1 to get it to profile 2.0 do you just need to do an online update?

ÿ

Cheers Guys & Girls

ÿ

Nick

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I've got the Sony and have just bought the Denon DVD-2500BT, whilst the Denon is better, it ain't by much in my opinion, certainly when you consider the Denon is £440 more expensive! There ain't £400 worth of improvement.

With regards to the Sony compared to the Panasonic, I don't know, but I would assume you'll notice very little difference given the small difference I can notice between the Sony and Denon.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts