SONY BDP-S760 . .yeah but, no but, yeah

hunnyy

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
Just thought I'd offer my thoughts on the Sony BDP-S760 blu-ray player, which I purchased around three weeks ago.

I was previously using a Panasonic '35 blu-ray player, (now doing sterling duty in the bedroom), and was a little apprehensive about buying the Sony because the likes of Mr. Will Harris were of the opinion that if bitsteaming to an A/V amp, the fine Yamaha RX-V3800 in my case, there was little difference to be discerned in sound or vision because "raw data" was being transmitted by bitstreaming.

Well, I certainly can tell the difference! The Sony produces a picture that is a noticably more detailed and, I think, "natural" pallette. Audio is also definitely improved. These differences are not "night and day" compared with my Panasonic, but gratifyingly noticable nonetheless.

Just a couple of gripes. The remote control - oh dear. The "home" button is situated right under the down arrow button, and it's all too easy to hit the home button by mistake and so find the film disappear from view. Also, to go to a specific chapter/track, you have to go into an options menu, scroll down to chapter select, press that and the ability to select your chapter/track then appears on screen. Errr?! What a palaver! Every other DVD player I've owned (and the Panasonic '35) lets you select your chapter/track direct from the remote control key pad. Why, Sony, why?

So, in my opinion the Sony exhibits overall excellent sound and vision, with a couple of irritating functional oddities.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
hunnyy:
Just thought I'd offer my thoughts on the Sony BDP-S760 blu-ray player, which I purchased around three weeks ago.

I was previously using a Panasonic '35 blu-ray player, (now doing sterling duty in the bedroom), and was a little apprehensive about buying the Sony because the likes of Mr. Will Harris were of the opinion that if bitsteaming to an A/V amp, the fine Yamaha RX-V3800 in my case, there was little difference to be discerned in sound or vision because "raw data" was being transmitted by bitstreaming.

Well, I certainly can tell the difference! The Sony produces a picture that is a noticably more detailed and, I think, "natural" pallette. Audio is also definitely improved. These differences are not "night and day" compared with my Panasonic, but gratifyingly noticable nonetheless.

Just a couple of gripes. The remote control - oh dear. The "home" button is situated right under the down arrow button, and it's all too easy to hit the home button by mistake and so find the film disappear from view. Also, to go to a specific chapter/track, you have to go into an options menu, scroll down to chapter select, press that and the ability to select your chapter/track then appears on screen. Errr?! What a palaver! Every other DVD player I've owned (and the Panasonic '35) lets you select your chapter/track direct from the remote control key pad. Why, Sony, why?

So, in my opinion the Sony exhibits overall excellent sound and vision, with a couple of irritating functional oddities.

Why not cut/paste your findings into a User Review on the Sony? Then other prospective purchasers will benefit from your experiences.

A

Anonymous

hunnyy:The remote control - oh dear. The "home" button is situated right under the down arrow button, and it's all too easy to hit the home button by mistake and so find the film disappear from view. Also, to go to a specific chapter/track, you have to go into an options menu, scroll down to chapter select, press that and the ability to select your chapter/track then appears on screen. Errr?! What a palaver! Every other DVD player I've owned (and the Panasonic '35) lets you select your chapter/track direct from the remote control key pad. Why, Sony, why?
I'd read your post on the Sony S760's remote control before I purchased a unit, but I fully agree with your findings. To not be able to directly input track/chapter numbers via the numeric keys is a bizarre omission.

Do the numeric keys have any use at all?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Will Harris:Very pleased you're enjoying your new Sony.

So how do you explain that though will if theyre both doing the exact same job? (Displaying 'raw' data)

D

Deleted member 2457

hunnyy:

So am I right in reading this as hunnyy is also seeing a difference in sound being bitstreamed from differnent players?

hunnyy

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
Gel, in answer to your question, I can indeed hear a difference in sound quality between my Sony 760 and my Panasonic '35.

I will qualify that statement by observing that in my opinion the difference is not great (when bit-streamed) - more of a subtle difference than "night and day". I'd say if someone was buying their first blu-ray player and wanted an extremely good player for relatively little cash the Sony would be a first-class choice. But I'd also wager that most people would not see or hear much of a difference between the '760 versus a Panasonic '35/'60, Sony 360, etc.

I have a theory, and it's only a theory, (not being one of the technical boffins), that the better the rest of one's A/V equipment is, the more likely one is to notice a difference. I have a Yamaha RX-V3800 amp and Monitor Gold Reference 10 5.1 speakers, so I think the quality of these allows differences between blu-ray players to "shine through" whereas "budget" amps and speakers may not be able to exhibit the differences. Just a theory!

D

Deleted member 2457

hunnyy:

Gel, in answer to your question, I can indeed hear a difference in sound quality between my Sony 760 and my Panasonic '35.

I will qualify that statement by observing that in my opinion the difference is not great (when bit-streamed) - more of a subtle difference than "night and day". I'd say if someone was buying their first blu-ray player and wanted an extremely good player for relatively little cash the Sony would be a first-class choice. But I'd also wager that most people would not see or hear much of a difference between the '760 versus a Panasonic '35/'60, Sony 360, etc.

I have a theory, and it's only a theory, (not being one of the technical boffins), that the better the rest of one's A/V equipment is, the more likely one is to notice a difference. I have a Yamaha RX-V3800 amp and Monitor Gold Reference 10 5.1 speakers, so I think the quality of these allows differences between blu-ray players to "shine through" whereas "budget" amps and speakers may not be able to exhibit the differences. Just a theory!

Hi thanks for your response I think you could be right with that theory because our test was done on B&W XT speaker package with pioneer vsx-lx70 amplifier, with the denon dvd2500bt blu ray player, pioneer bdp-lx52 blu ray player, and the pioneer bdp-lx71 blu ray player. Now I can tell you right now how they all sounded, the denon was very strong, forceful sound, it was very good musically, the pioneer 52 was a very weak, thin, tinny sound, and the 71 was I thought a very balanced sound, kind of like a perfect partner. I think my dad prefered the sound of the denon whereas I like the 71.

Now I am sure with the what hi fi team also stating that there is no difference in sound when bitstream they have used expensive equipment to back up what they are saying - right?

But it's all very interesting nevertheless.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

Also think if that was true think about all those people who brought the pioneer bdp-lx91 over the 71 to get a better sound and picture and all they have got better is a slightly better picture and the cost of say £1,200?

D

Deleted member 2457

Hems:Now that the blu-ray 3D specs have been outlined, will existing players such as the 760 be upgradable or would you need new hardware altogether?

According to What hi fi mag last month you are going to need a new blu ray player, just heard that the PS3 owners will be fine though.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
gel:
Hi thanks for your response I think you could be right with that theory because our test was done on B&W XT speaker package with pioneer vsx-lx70 amplifier, with the denon dvd2500bt blu ray player, pioneer bdp-lx52 blu ray player, and the pioneer bdp-lx71 blu ray player. Now I can tell you right now how they all sounded, the denon was very strong, forceful sound, it was very good musically, the pioneer 52 was a very weak, thin, tinny sound, and the 71 was I thought a very balanced sound, kind of like a perfect partner. I think my dad prefered the sound of the denon whereas I like the 71.

Now I am sure with the what hi fi team also stating that there is no difference in sound when bitstream they have used expensive equipment to back up what they are saying - right?

Thanks

Sounds to me like the Pioneer 52 wasnt 'run in'.

D

Deleted member 2457

aliEnRIK:gel:

Thanks

Why does a blu ray player need to be run in?

Thanks

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
gel:aliEnRIK:gel:

Thanks

Why does a blu ray player need to be run in?

Thanks

Most electronics dont sound their 'best' from new

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts