Sony BDP-S370 wireless capabilities

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

Interested in buying the Sony S370 blu ray player to replace my old S350. Main reason is that I would be able to access i player and HD content over the net.

My question is:

Do you have to use Sony's own usb dongle UWA-BR100 for the wireless to be operational, or will any dongle do?

I see it's £70 to buy, so if that is the case, I would buy the S570 instead with bullt in wifi.

My broadband is 5.5 meg, so I assume I will receive smooth i player, HD and 'lovefilm' material?

Any help would be great.........

markyd

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
How about this?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-Nfiniti-Wireless-N-Ethernet-Converter/dp/B0018DQCLE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280691499&sr=8-1-spell

Seemed like a good solution as you can plug in 4 devices for less than the cost of the Sony adapter.

I was under the impression you needed Sonys (expensive) proprietary adapter to make the 370 wi-fi compatible.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Forgot to mention......router is upstairs in office....blu ray player in downstairs in lounge.....

Therefore cable is not an option......

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
There is a reason why sony's uwa-br100 is £69.99.it was co developed by cisco systems.It has an 12 second buffer built in to the dongle,so for people that have a slower internet connection it makes sure that when you are streaming from the lovefilm service/bbc i-player,then your service does not get disrupted.We have an "upto" 2 meg connection at work..that fall to 1.5 meg.We use one instore and it works like a dream.and at home i have an upto 50 meg connection borrowed the dongle from work and it supports n routers as well.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that info, Grant.....

Been reading online, and some are saying the wireless option on the S-570 isn't as good as it being wired....

Is wired a better option on the S-370 too, or does this 12 second buffer really make the difference on a 5.5 meg connection?

My other alternative is to fit a wired router on my phone line downstairs which is about 5 metres away from the proposed position the blu ray player would sit. Thus ignoring wifi all together, and costing less than the Sony Dongle. (X box could be connected to it too.....
emotion-4.gif
)

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
imo its always better to have a wired connection,i swear by it,but not everybody wants wires all round the house.when i tried the dongle at home i was very impressed(any wireless usage drops internet connections by up to 30%).

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Grant.....again thanks for your honest opinion.......I was expecting you to 'plug' the Sony dongle.....

Off to ebay to buy a bargain router.........then buy the S370......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts