Sony BDP S370 sound problem.....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yep. Optical simply doesn't have the bandwidth - it's limited to compressed formats like standard Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1, or uncompressed stereo PCM.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Shame....would have been interesting to see if that helped....

Guess I am left with either switching 'Pure Direct' off with blu ray's, or specifically DTS HD Master decoding, or leaving 'Pure Direct' on but press pause at the start of a HD Master soundtrack so it resets itself to the correct volume level.....

Unless you, Sony or Denon come up with any other ideas.....

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
See, I'm now wondering whether this has something to do with it:

18092099abli.jpg

In other words, the receiver is detecting the signal source when viewing menus - which will in all likelihood not be DTS-HD - and setting itself up accordingly, then not switching surround mode when the signal unlocks from that input format for a second as play begins, then comes back as DTS-HD.

May be clutching at straws, but this would seem to give some explanation of what you're experiencing...

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

See, I'm now wondering whether this has something to do with it:

18092099abli.jpg

In other words, the receiver is detecting the signal source when viewing menus - which will in all likelihood not be DTS-HD - and setting itself up accordingly, then not switching surround mode when the signal unlocks from that input format for a second as play begins, then comes back as DTS-HD.

May be clutching at straws, but this would seem to give some explanation of what you're experiencing...

That all makes sense, Andrew, and I agree it's what I am experiencing.......is this taken from the Sony manual? Can't find it in the Denon one, so assume so?

Your assumption that the menu's are not DTS HD is spot on too......what will sort this out then? Changing this setting?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:I've just spoken to Denon about this issue - they've got their tech people on it, and will come back with a response ASAP.

Great....thanks Clare.....

A

Anonymous

I had the same problem, my 370 is connected to a Sony HT-SS1300 All in One to a Panny tv. Every time I played a BD it came out with reduced sound until a switch on/off of the 370.

Quite a number of people had the same problem mainly with Sony tv's but also Denon and other AV amps.
Sony released the firmware in April (or the latest one available now) to cure the problem. I updated via ethernet and it cured my problem.

Hope that helps in any way.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks stefanr.....but.....

I have the latest firmware updates on both machines now......

Mine has an increased sound initially until I press pause, forward/rewind or skip......nut is only a problem with 'Pure Direct' switched on....works fine when off....
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:
Thanks stefanr.....but.....

I have the latest firmware updates on both machines now......

Mine has an increased sound initially until I press pause, forward/rewind or skip......nut is only a problem with 'Pure Direct' switched on....works fine when off....
emotion-7.gif

Does sound weird, was it not the other way round, reduced sound to start with?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Nope, afraid not....it reduced by about a third after pressing a function.....

Trust me to get an unknown problem, after buying a new piece of equipment.....

Saying that, that blu ray player is absolutely superb..

and all for £100......Product of the Year, anyone?

IJ

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
Afraid i am a bit of a mental midgit when it comes to AV stuff(too many buttons, too many cables and too old), but i have the BDP-360 and same Denon 1910 and recently when i play a blue ray disc i get picture and no sound.

It takes much cursing, switching on and off, un-plugging and plugging back in the HDMI cable, changing the source and back again and so on, until i eventually get the sound back.

No idea what is really going on here, maybe similar to your issue. Last time to get the sound i pushed the small on/off button next to the big on/off button.

Drives me nuts.

Interested to learn a solution here.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Update........

Had tech guy from Denon on the phone today for about an hour (at their expense) going through settings and the issue I have discovered.

According to him, it's the first they have heard of this type of sound issue, but has taken the settings and names of the disc's that cause this problem, in the hope to 'create' the same issue in their labs....after 'testing' my set up over the phone by changing certain settings.

Once they have done that, they will be able to create an updated firmware to solve this issue.....or so it was suggested.

Fingers crossed they will be able to replicate this when they connect a Sony 370 and Denon 2310 in their lab.......
emotion-7.gif

No doubt this will take a few weeks, and in the meantime I'll be updating the firmware on the Sony, once it has been released....you never know...it may help?

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:
Forgot to mention...

He suggested it is a compatibility issue between the two machines.

(And there you have it....my 1000 post in this forum!!!)

Pity it was'nt a happier post Pete
emotion-6.gif
, i've just connected up my S370 to Onkyo 606 and all is working fine
emotion-2.gif

Hopefully the Denon tech guys can sort you out.........

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
If you have the Sony BDP S370, a new firmware is due out by the end of the month...it solves some problems with sound dropouts when used with a Sony TV, I believe, but don't know the details.

The firmware is already available on the S570 and S470......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts