Sony 5ES upgrade

craciunu

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
Hello! First post for me, but I’m a long time reader.

I have a Sony TA-FA 5ES and a Sony CDP-XA 5ES, bought new in 1996. Both are some really heavy beasts and I was (am) very pleased with their sound and features. But even if I don’t have any problems with them, I feel that a 20 years anniversary is a good time for a change with some updated tech.

An amp, a CD-player and a network/web streamer (not necessarily the same brand and not necessarily breaking the bank :) ) are on my list, but I don’t know where to start.

The question is: What level of price in today’s tech will most likely get me a real upgrade? I know that price is not the same thing as value, but still, it will help me start looking somewhere. A few suggestions would be very welcomed, too.

Thank you!

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi, and welcome to the forum . *smile*

Be prepared to spend a large sum of money to better what you already have probably several thousand pounds and even then there is no guarantee that they will sound any better, todays equivalent will be quite high end stuff from the likes of Bryston , Krell , Hegel , etc etc .

What speakers do you have ?

matthewpiano

If both are working well and you like the sound I would stick with them. Sony know how to build quality hi-fi and that amp will comfortably drive and control a wide range of different speakers. You'll struggle to make worthwhile improvements on either the amp or CD without spending a lot of money.

If you want to add some modern tech, look at adding a streaming device of some sort.

You also don't mention what speakers you are using. Perhaps money could be effectively spent there?

rainsoothe

Salut! I think they all do home auditions in one form or another - some let you purchase the thing and give you a full refund when you bring it back after the home trial. It's cumbersome, but totally worth it.

My favourite dealers are the guys at Jack-Fi (that's how I discovered Naim. The dude at AOY is also very nice and accommodating, and Avstore are also great.

Imo, you should give these stores a visit after you've considered your needs and shortlisted some options.

I'd wait for the new Naim Uniti range to be available for demo. Cambridge Audio CXN is also a VERY nice sounding piece of kit (although, for me, their amps are pretty lacking. You could pair one with an Arcam amp.

For speakers, give Focal Aria 926 an audition, they sound great. Wharfedale Reva range is also worth considering.

craciunu

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
Salut! And thanks for your suggestions.

Yes, buying and returning might be a solution in Romania, but how many times can you do that? :) Feels like cheating somehow - not the right feeling when you are actually spending a few thousands. They need to provide services matching the quality and prices of the products they want you to buy.

The new Naim Uniti range looks impressive to me, based on specs and legacy. I will take a closer look as soon as the Uniti Star will get to the market. Never been to Jack-Fi before. I will.

craciunu

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
Now I have Q Acoustics Concept 40, in a 29 square meters room (312 square foot). My listening position and speakers positions form an equilateral triangle with 2.4 meters sides. And my "playlist" is very eclectic, mainly electronic and rock, but also jazz and classical.

It is difficult to audition many speaker models in Romania, and even if now you can find pretty much every brand (scattered between small dealers), it's hard to audition it for a long period, to compare different models side by side, or change source amps and players etc. And actually impossible to do home auditions... no one lends you equipment at home. But I am open to suggestions.

Also, regarding my amp and CD... Is there something to check after 20 years of moderate use? Some maintenance to be done?

Thanks!

rainsoothe

Jack are my favourite - they moving the main dealership right now, and their current spot is not that hi-fi friendly (loads of reflective surfaces and stuff).

And with purchasing and returning, I don't mean cheating in any way. Audition in the store, and IF there is something you really like, and are really considering, you talk to them and say you need to audition in your own space. If you're a stranger, they will offer this option: paying for the product (or just a deposit, so they have your credit card details etc) and you can take it home with you. Unless you befriend them or become a regular customer, then some just give it for free for 1 or 2 days, if they have the stuff on demo. Or, if you order online, you have the option of returning it anyway, but I wasn't talking about that. That's how I tested some QED XT40 in my system, told Avstore I wanted to try them in my system, they said "ok", I paid for the stuff, kept them for a couple of days, then returned them. No cheating involved - as, imo, it's crucial to audition in your own space before purchasing. Otherwise I would've ended with a pair of PMC DB1 golds that sounded amazing in teh AoY showroom, but not so in my silly square room.

damodollard

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
For an amp i try to audition the new Sony TA-A1ES, have just recenly set up this system check signature, sounds great, even at the lowest of volumes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts