Sonos

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
eggontoast said:
The_Lhc said:
eggontoast said:
The_Lhc said:
That doesn't work if you have a flat folder structure though, like I do.

Just out of curiosity, why ?

You can only have one file called "folder.jpg" in a folder, so if all your music is in one folder and none of it has embedded artwork then everything will reference the same jpg and all the music will end up with the same cover art.
No, why do you have a flat file structure ?

Oh I see, I prefer it that way, if I have thousands of files in one folder I can sort by anything I want, date is the main one I use to find stuff I've ripped recently (I don't just use Sonos, I listen on the laptop as well), whereas if you have thousands of subdirectories you can't do that so easily. Sonos doesn't care one way or the other, as long as the tagging is correct.

A

Anonymous

I like flat file structure also for same reason as The_LHC. Its great when I want to back up my NAS drive for example to a standalone USB drive,all I do is sort by date and copy over the most recent ones. Otherwise I'd have to backup the whole NAS drive which is like watching paint dry.

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Ric

advice above is assuming you have a 'normal' file structure in your music folder ie: Artist/Album/Track and not just the awful mess that The_Lhc and Nick8858 must be looking at :? ;)

If you do have everything in one big folder, then DON'T put any folder.jpg s in it, just change the embedded artwork to a smaller version in itunes as above.

Have fun, Bill

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
nick8858 said:
I like flat file structure also for same reason as The_LHC. Its great when I want to back up my NAS drive for example to a standalone USB drive,all I do is sort by date and copy over the most recent ones. Otherwise I'd have to backup the whole NAS drive which is like watching paint dry.

I keep my albums in a folder structure of artist - album. It's fairly easy on a PC to write a robocopy script to backup only "new" files from my NAS to my backup device.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts