Sonos Playbar - wireless soundbar??

There are rumours that Sonos is about to release a 802.11n Playbar with subwoofer for around $1000. :p

sonos-playbar-fcc.jpg

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
How would that work then? I'm not sure what the point of a wireless soundbar would be - if it's next to the TV, why not just plug it in? Or have I missed the point?

Pikman

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Where do people hear about this stuff?!

Any idea when the press release it due? Best just to keep an eye on here/the sonos site?

Cheers!

The_Lhc said:
bigboss said:
There are rumours that Sonos is about to release a 802.11n Playbar with subwoofer for around $1000. :p

I'd be surprised if it included a subwoofer, given Sonos already sell their dedicated SUB.

Yes, conflicting rumours online. I agree that the current sub is likely to complement the soundbar. Maybe you can use Playbar as the centre speaker, & Play:3s for a 3.1 or a 5.1 configuration!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
*Checks large legal document* Think so :)

Am hoping we'll have a Playbar to show off at the Bristol Show, but still confirming that. Will update when I know more - at the moment, it's all a little frantic on the SONOS side of things, as you can imagine...

This is a brilliant product! :clap:

And keenly priced too (although becomes expensive when combined with the sub).

My guess about using Play:3s for a 5.1 setup was right!

It's definitely on my bedroom speakers upgrade list for next year!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
This is a brilliant product! :clap:

And keenly priced too (although becomes expensive when combined with the sub).

My guess about using Play:3s for a 5.1 setup was right!

Yes but I told you it wouldn't come with a sub though, eh?

It's definitely on my bedroom speakers upgrade list for next year!

Conversely I don't see myself buying this, I have a full system in the main room and it would be massive overkill for any other room that has a TV in. Still interesting though.

The_Lhc said:
Yes but I told you it wouldn't come with a sub though, eh?

And I agreed with you! :)

Conversely I don't see myself buying this, I have a full system in the main room and it would be massive overkill for any other room that has a TV in. Still interesting though.

For me, this would free up my ZP90 to be relegated to another room. Anyway, all upgrade plans on hold currently as I'm very likely to move house next year.

daveh75 said:
Interesting, but too expensive @ over £1700 for the full 5.1 setup, thats lacking in connectivity/features.

Agreed for a full 5.1 setup if exclusively used for home cinema duties. It's far cheaper to just buy a decent 5.1 system & connect Sonos:Connect to it. I think Sonos caters to a very different need. The way I see it is: use it as a 3.1 system for normal TV viewing, & bring in Play:3s from other rooms for a full 5.1 experience when watching a film (sounded better in my head until I re-read what I typed :( )

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
I think Sonos caters to a very different need.

Indeed. Worth noting that SONOS doesn't see the majority of users having the Playbar in a 5.1 set-up . Yes, they've made it possible (and a lot of great-sounding, wireless fun), but they see most Playbar owners using it as a pure soundbar, or just with a SUB.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I like Sonos and have a Connect / ZP90 connected to my home cinema setup, and another connected to a Marantz stereo amp in another room, but I'm not sure about this.

It just seems too niche. It's really someone who wants a quick and easy Sonos solution, plus wants a bit of TV oomph, but nothing too complex or surround / HD sound.

For me they'll look at it and think they can get 2 play speakers, and cope with TV sound, or 1 play speaker and a separate soundbar that they can use in different places if they want to. I just can't see it. They could even with a minimum of mess have a connect:amp and goor stereo speakers, with TV feeding connect:amp stereo inputs.

I really like Sonos and it performs great, but I think recently the pricing and features of the newer products just seem odd.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts