something not quite right!

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i have a Roksan Kandy CDP, Amp, and Power Amp connected with Chord Chameleon Silver Plus Interconnects and Chord Odyssey Bi wire speaker cable to a pair of MA RS8s on granite plinths - i have recently moved house so now in bigger room - just changed all cables as speakers now further away from system than used to be - so a number of changes - i can't help but think thats something missing - i feel the sounds is a little thin in the midrange and lacks a little excitement - hard to pinpoint as made quite a few changes in one go any ideas welcome - although guess a lot may point at the speakers as i get impression that the metal tweeters in the rs series not everyones favorites.

A

Anonymous

Hmm.this is serious mate. The reason definitely looks like the obvious one. It's a bug. Falls under the "extreme upgrade syndrome" category. No cure found yet; heard some kinda global underground wifez community is working on it. Waiting impatiently, a lot of us need it. Join the club!

A

Anonymous

Just acoustics. Try moving closer to the speakers, playing with toe.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="matengawhat"]although guess a lot may point at the speakers as i get impression that the metal tweeters in the rs series not everyones favorites[/quote]

If you liked your system before then its not the speakers or any other part of your system. Trace back what you did and make changes step by step, starting with your old cables. New rooms pose the usual problems but size is not really an issue with your system. It should cope without problems. Dont waste money til you exhausted the more obvious solutions.

A

Anonymous

What was the type of flooring in the old house? What have you got now? Having tried the Rega R5s on both floorboards in a dampened room versus a room with concrete floors, laminate and many reflective surfaces I am now very wary of acoustics. The R5s sounded totally different in each room. Almost unbearable in the latter. A worrying learning experience.

A

Anonymous

Accoustic reflection is the arch enemy of hi-fi. It messes up the timing, produces a un-realistic tonality and destroys the soundstage. This is why it is best to have speakers which do not have a wide listening axis, contrary to popular belief...have you ever listened to decent headphones and wondered why the sound is so much better than speakers? The timing is more crisp, better tonality and more detail. That's because they are incredibly directional and are under 5cm from your ear drums and so there is minimal reflection.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"]That's because they are incredibly directional and are under 5cm from your ear drums and so there is minimal reflection.[/quote]

So get some brackets an hang them MA's round your head
emotion-11.gif

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
well have placed the metal covers back on the tweeters so that seems to have calmed them down a little - toed in a bit more - old house to new speakers on same surface but now above a carport as opposed to ground floor also one is in front of a patio window covered by a venitian blind which only put up yesterday. room is bigger about 1m wider and 3 m longer but same amount of furniture so larger wall surfaces i guess sat about same distance from speakers but before wall directly behind listening position. Sound seems to get worse with volume - quiet listening now sounds great - clear and detailed.

A

Anonymous

I don't like the sound of that window.

This is a silly sounding one... but hanging a persian rug, or a tapestry or something against the far wall, or one on each side wall might help. Problem is it'll ****** your decor and get you massacred by the other half.

If you can figure a way to dangle some dense, softish stuff on the walls that may help. Or may not... hard to say sight unseen.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
sounds like a change in room accoustics and relative seating position. you had a wall directly behind you before which will have added a bass boost and probably thickened mid-range. also, i think that lower frequencies tend to pass through glass quite easily you you might lose a bit of reflected sound from behind the speaker through that. from my experience i have found that even small changes in the accoustics of a room will have a big effect on sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts