Some thoughts on the what to do with media hub please...

SnowyJohn

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm at pivotal point for the future of my media circle and would greatly appreciate some thoughts on which direction to take - I know I know, please bare with me. Let me say where I am...

I have a 'theatre' setup in the sitting room (AV receiver, Panasonic TV & Bluray etc), and when I want some listening time, I use my MBP as a source to the receiver. I also have a spare old Technics AR600 stereo amp laying around, which could be used with my second tv (although the only speakers I have are used in the sitting room).

Purchase (1): This year, I bought a Synology NAS with the intent of backing up/ storing data safely and also serving video & music files to compatible network devices - at the time, I had a PS3 in the sitting room and bedroom (since sold the one in the bedroom). I also thought the built-in iTunes server on the NAS would be used to one-day act as the source for a music streaming system, but the best route seems to be a Squeezecenter / Sonos type system (which could be nicely controlled from my iPhone)...

Purchase (2): then the iPad came out and I thought it would make a great (future) controller for my evolving circle (/circus) and also replace my (very powerful) laptop for internet browsing and what not. So I purchased it...

Now, the jist of the problem... I'm selling my laptop and will get ~ £1000 in return. I will need to buy an alternative computer which will largely be used to rip media onto the NAS and sync my 'i' devices but it COULD also be used in conjunction with my theatre. The question is... what do I do!?

These are some focal points and possibilities:
  • I would like an expandable (future-proof) music system which could be controlled from an 'i' device.
  • I would like the ability to listen to music at different locations throughout the house (portable, maybe battery powered devices?)
  • I could make use of a spare amplifier I have laying around.
  • I would like my main computer to be OSX based (it can be second hand / doesn't need to be a powerhouse or a jack of all trades).
  • I would like to be able to listen to music with as few devices drawing power as possible (basically, using the NAS)
Apologies for the long story - writing this down has helped me think...

Thanks if you made it this far.

John

SnowyJohn

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Having thought about this constantly for the last hour... I'm thinking,

Mac Mini... older gen

Squeezebox receiver and SB boom to start... if it works well, consider another SB device; could either get another receiver and make use of Teac amp (+ 2 speakers) or another Boom and neglect amp.

Any alternative suggestions?? Anyone?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts