Some questions before I start building my system...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I want to start building a budget surround system over the coming months but I have a few questions before I make any final decisions.

So far I have a Xbox 360 and BT Vision connected to a Sony KDL-40V4000 via HDMI.

I like the Sony STR-DG820 reciever but my main stumbling block is the speakers to go with it. Should I get style speakers or big speakers? Can I buy big speakers in pairs when I can afford them? I like the Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 package but is it possible to purchase the speakers, sub, and centre indivdually? Or is this a bad idea?

My room is approx 14' x 13'.

I will also be adding a Bluray player, possibly the BDP-S350. But this player doesn't support DTS-HD Master Audio, but the reciever does, so will I still get this codec through the reciever, or does the Bluray player simply ignore it?

Thanks and sorry for the noob questions!

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I can answer your last question as I have the S350 and DG820, and DTS-HD master audio plays fine through the receiver. Sounds great too!

ÿ

I looked at the Q Acoustics myself, and I know I saw a site that let you but additional pairs of the speakers for £88 if memory serves me correctly. Cant remember the site, but would have found it through Froogle uk.

ÿ

Your room is about the same size as ours, and we have the KEF 2005 setup and are very happy with it. I am sure big speakers will sound better, but to my ears the KEFs sound great. Cant rate the amp highly enough either, for £220 from Richer Sounds has to be one of the biggest bargains around at the moment.ÿ

A

Anonymous

KAIS3R SOSE:
I like the Sony STR-DG820 reciever but my main stumbling block is the speakers to go with it. Should I get style speakers or big speakers? Can I buy big speakers in pairs when I can afford them? I like the Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 package but is it possible to purchase the speakers, sub, and centre indivdually? Or is this a bad idea?ÿ

Yes you can buy them separately for only a marginally higher price and is a great idea for building the system up gradually. For a similar price you can also get the Tannoy F1 set up which sounds great and is also available separately.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the great advice guys. Now roll on payday....

A

Anonymous

Yeah thanks prof, it is standards speakers I want, just wasn't sure if it would be too much for my size of room. With that in mind I think I will stick with the 1010i's over the Tannoy system because A) they are slightly smaller and B) the Tannoy sub is more than double the price. Plus the 1010i's are available in black, and would like to keep the whole system matching!

A

Anonymous

Ok got a question about speaker cable now. Do you need banana plugs or do speakers and recievers still have screw clamp type fittings?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
they still have clamps. If you're a bit "unhandy" and are afraid of shorting at the back of the amp, get plugs, but there's no real benefit to them - spend the money on better cable!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts