Some help and advice re. multichannel out

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Denon AVR2105 AV Surround Receiver and a Panasonic Viera TH-42PV500B plasma TV (with KEF speakers). I am thinking of buying a blu-ray player. I currently have my DVD player connected to my TV via HDMI and the DVD player connected to my Denon AV Received via component.

I am interested in one of the following:

Either the Sony BDP-S350 or the Panasonic DMP-DB35 or the Panasonic DMP-BD55

However I am a little confused. I notice that both the Sony and the DB35 don't have multichannel out. What implication will this have for me?

Do the S350 and BD35 rely on the amp having a HDMI input for sound (my amp does not have HDMI)? If so, would this leave me without 5.1 surround altogether or without HD 5.1 sound?

If I go for the BD55 will I get 5.1 surround or HD 5.1 sound via the multichannel out (which I asume means I will need to have the leads for front, rear, centre and sub from the blu-ray player to my amp and the HDMI for video from my blu-ray to my TV).

Is this correct?

Your advice would be much appreciated as the BD55 is nearly twice the price, but I don't want to upgrade to blu-ray and miss out on the improved sound.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
stephenthorne:
I have a Denon AVR2105 AV Surround Receiver and a Panasonic Viera TH-42PV500B plasma TV (with KEF speakers). I am thinking of buying a blu-ray player. I am interested in one of the following:

Either the Sony BDP-S350 or the Panasonic DMP-DB35 or the Panasonic DMP-BD55

However I am a little confused. I notice that both the Sony and the DB35 don't have multichannel out. What implication will this have for me?

Do the S350 and BD35 rely on th amp having a HDMI input for sound (my amp does not have HDMI)? If so, would this leave me without 5.1 surround altogether or without HD 5.1 sound?

If I go for the BD55 will I get 5.1 surround or HD 5.1 sound via the multichannel out (which I asume means I will need to have the leads for front, rear, centre and sub from the blu-ray player to my amp and the HDMI for video from my blu-ray to my TV).

Is this correct?

Your advice would be much appreciated as the BD55 is nearly twice the price, but I don't want to upgrade to blu-ray and miss out on the improved sound.

With multi channel out (the Pana 55 and the bigger Sony, S550 both have), you can connect it to your receiver with three pairs of analogue (RCA stereo) cables. This will give you HD audio, as decoded by the BD player. If you buy the two players without multi channel out, you would need a coaxial or optical cable for 5.1. However, you won't get HD audio this way.

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much for the advice. Very helpful. Sounds like I need to go for the Panasonic 55 to get the sound I want . . .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts