Small factor Home Cinema amps

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hey all

I'm after a small factor home cinema amp - main constraint is width - I need it to be 33cm or less, minimum of 3 HDMI inputs, and ideally 2 optical inputs (though one would do). 2 HDMI outputs would be an incredible bonus, but I suspect too much to ask!

Any ideas? To be honest, a hi-fi amp would do - I will only be using in stereo mode, but I need to be able to connect all my HDMI sources so I'm guessing home cinema amp is best bet.

Have been out of the game for a while - at the moment my setup is a mish mash of HDMI switches / optical extractors and a set of active speakers I had lying around. It works (just), but it's a pain and there's cables everywhere! Would like to tidy it up and just have a single remote to control it all!

Any ideas appreciated!

Many thanks!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Why can't you change the cabinet to widen your choice? Most AV receivers will be standard width to fit in an AV rack.
Well, this is for my home office (where I spend most of my life at the moment!), and the furniture is set. I can get a normal home cinema amp and shoe horn it in somewhere, but I'd really like something that fit in nicely and looked pretty 🦋

jjbomber

Any ideas? To be honest, a hi-fi amp would do - I will only be using in stereo mode, but I need to be able to connect all my HDMI sources so I'm guessing home cinema amp is best bet.

I'm surprised by how few manufacturers have stereo amps with HDMI inputs. I would have thought that there has to be a fair size market for it these days, with Sky, BT or Virgin boxes in just about every home. Maybe they think DVD will be short-lived as people move to streaming?

Reactions: professorhat
We have a winner here! Sonos amp now has HDMI! 👍🏼

You could pair this with an HDMI switch.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Thanks bigboss - I looked at both the Sonos and the NAD3045, but I really need 3 HDMI inputs - I'm already half arsing it with switches etc and it just doesn't work well. Pretty sure I just need to find a bigger space for the amp - unfortunate as it would have looked a lot nicer on the shelf!

I do like the look of the Onkyo and Pioneer devices though - hadn't seen them previously. Think that's where I need to concentrate my research. Of course, my next need will be a couple of small bookshelf speakers to hook up as well!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I'm surprised by how few manufacturers have stereo amps with HDMI inputs. I would have thought that there has to be a fair size market for it these days, with Sky, BT or Virgin boxes in just about every home. Maybe they think DVD will be short-lived as people move to streaming?
Well, probably true - but then I have 3x HDMI sources - one is Apple TV (streaming), second is PS4 and then there's my Blu-ray player (mainly as my PS4 doesn't play BD discs any more!).

Like you say, Sky / BT / Virgin all do streaming now, and the PS5 / new Xbox is coming soon, so the need for HDMI inputs won't be going anywhere soon.

scene

Are you not able to connect all to TV, and one HDMI cable from TV to the amp?
Most new TVs have 4 HDMI (max). If one of those is used for the ARC channel back to a Sonos Beam, say, you have three left for other devices, which could prove a problem if you've got to plug the following into your TV:
- Cable/Satellite box
- PS4/XBox
- BluRay player
- Streaming device (e.g. Chromecast/Apple TV)
Now you're an input short.
(BTW that scenario is what I have in my living room, where I have Virgin Cable, PS4, BluRay player & Chromecast - all on HDMI - but I have enough inputs across my TV + Marantx to handle this. A Sonos Beam couldn't)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, took me a while to decide but ended up getting a full AV receiver and putting it on top of the bookshelf units. Given lockdown and the lack of ability to go places and see people, I opted for a home delivery of the lovely Sony STR-DN1080 from Richer Sounds - finally I have everything hooked up to some wall mounted Cambridge Audio speakers and I can just flick between sources with one remote. Happy!

D

Deleted member 2457

Well, took me a while to decide but ended up getting a full AV receiver and putting it on top of the bookshelf units. Given lockdown and the lack of ability to go places and see people, I opted for a home delivery of the lovely Sony STR-DN1080 from Richer Sounds - finally I have everything hooked up to some wall mounted Cambridge Audio speakers and I can just flick between sources with one remote. Happy!
Did you know it has support for HDMI 2.1 eARC too via a firmware update:

Reactions: professorhat

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts