Small AV amp to use with computer

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I download and watch Internet TV using Miro. This works well but I'm not sure if the programmes have any surround sound coding. They are usually in H.264 format. So far I've been listening on a stereo but I thought about getting some KEF "egg" surround speakers. But it looks like these need to be driven by an AV amp and my study doesn't have room for a big amp. I know I can use computer 5.1 speakers where I assume the sub contains an amp that drives all the speakers, but I prefer the look of the KEF's.

Anyone know of a small surround amp or the best way to achieve this?

BTW WHFSV team, you have a section in the forums on computer audio but not on computer video. Is it possible to have one or should the questions be posted under MP4?

A

Anonymous

I've just had a look on the Miro site and there's absolutely no mention of a DD soundtrack. Are the channels made by video production companies or individuals? I would probably deduce you will need to use Pro Logic with the stereo soundtrack.

As for the amp what's your budget? Does it need to be the eggs? How about the Sony DAV IS10 for a space saving set up?ÿ

A

Anonymous

Octopo:
I've just had a look on the Miro site and there's absolutely no mention of a DD soundtrack. Are the channels made by video production companies or individuals? I would probably deduce you will need to use Pro Logic with the stereo soundtrack.

As for the amp what's your budget? Does it need to be the eggs? How about the Sony DAV IS10 for a space saving set up?ÿ

Thanks for the reply. Miro is just the application and where video companies can post their feeds, so there is no way of knowing what the soundtrack is, or at least as far as I can see. But today I watched a programme (if that is the correct term) and they were talking about their production and particularly how they had not treated sound seriously when they first started but now do. From that I assumed that they were probably producing a surround soundtrack but it wasn't clear. The sound on some of the channels has increased massively recently so I think it is likely. if not now, then in the future. All the channels I watch are shot in high-def and I think they are all edited on a MAC which I think includes the ability to do surround tracks.

I looked at the Sony and it sounds good, but I didn't like that the speaker cables are permanently attached and looked very weak. My current surround speakers in the lounge are KEF and I really like them, plus the build of the eggs looks fantastic. I suppose I could buy the Sony and use the eggs but I just hoped there was something better out there. I've looked at computer audio i.e. external soundcards with extra's but none of them seem to have any amplification built in. I hoped Pro-ject might do a really small surround amp but I didn't see one on their website.

As I have a Cyrus 6VS in the study I could add their AV Master but it seems really overkill for a study system, especially as I don't have the room to match my current speakers. With the eggs available for around £250 I was also hoping to get an AV box for around £150. Obviously I could do that with the bigger AV amps but I just don't have room for those. I'm beginning to think there is a real gap in the market or I'm missing something.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts