admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just wondering (again sorry) if its worth upgrading to SkyHD from Sky+ just to use it to upscale regular programs?

Obviously have HD TV

Thanks, Rich.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
I would say no.

I would only upgrade to SkyHD if you want the HD channels.

Did you know that your tv has a built in upscaler and scales all incomming signals to the resolution of the tv. It may not be as good as the SkyHD scaler or it may be better (depending on your tv) but the difference would be minimal.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
mattjax05:
I would say no.

I would only upgrade to SkyHD if you want the HD channels.

Did you know that your tv has a built in upscaler and scales all incomming signals to the resolution of the tv. It may not be as good as the SkyHD scaler or it may be better (depending on your tv) but the difference would be minimal.

I disagree strongly. The hdmi connection from HD box to tv compared to scart to tv with Sky + is a big improvement. SD channels from a Sky HD box is clearly better than from a standard box.

A

Anonymous

got the same set as you so think i might upgrade to the HD box, thanks for your help!!!!

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails: I disagree strongly. The hdmi connection from HD box to tv compared to scart to tv with Sky + is a big improvement. SD channels from a Sky HD box is clearly better than from a standard box.

Im not impressed at all by the quality of SD material using a hd connection and from memory (pre hdmi) the quality was not that great either, but I stand corrected as I have not done a recent comparison. If there is an improvement to be had is it worth the outlay of a HD box? I can imagine what the sales team at sky would say if you asked to buy a HD box but not take out the HD package.....

What are they selling for nowadays?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
mattjax05:
Gerrardasnails: I disagree strongly. The hdmi connection from HD box to tv compared to scart to tv with Sky + is a big improvement. SD channels from a Sky HD box is clearly better than from a standard box.

Im not impressed at all by the quality of SD material using a hd connection and from memory (pre hdmi) the quality was not that great either, but I stand corrected as I have not done a recent comparison. If there is an improvement to be had is it worth the outlay of a HD box? I can imagine what the sales team at sky would say if you asked to buy a HD box but not take out the HD package.....

What are they selling for nowadays?

You can buy them on ebay - I bought one last year for £180 and you just ask Sky to pair your existing card to the new box but you don't want to upgrade. You will still get C4 and BBC HD (and any of the other free HD channels). The picture on most of the SD channels is very good on my screen. ITV is poor but it is on all screens/set ups!

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
I agree on ITV, its very poor - what do you think of five? Im impressed with this one, the rest are average but I suppose it's because the HD quality can be very good.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Five is watchable (The Gadget Show??), although I sometimes find that the picture and audio are not quite in synch - another can of worms. ÿBBC is generally very good - Spooks is approaching upscaled DVD quality for me (fortunately - I wish it was on HD).

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
There is more than enough content on sky hd to justify the cost now imho. I have recently installed it and am thoroughly enjoying giving my TV a decent full time HD feed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts