Sky HD box sound output

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Just changed from optical cable to digital coaxial cable from Sky HD box via Onkyo 806 receiver and now everything is in Dolby Prologic 11 rather than Dolby Digital......checked the settings on my receiver and everything looks ok.....what am I not doing right????

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
You need to assign the coax input on the amp to the Sky box. Otherwise, as Daveh points out the amp will take the stereo sound from the HDMI. On most amps the default assignment for the co ax input is DVD

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
I have the HDMI from the Sky box in to HDMI 3 on the Onkyo which is assigned to Cab/Sat...I then have the digital coaxial assigned to input 3 which corresponds to the same HDMI input. It's still not giving Dolby D...any help would be appreciated

A

Anonymous

On a related note how do you know if a Sky HD program is broadcast in surround? I could not see it on the sky guide anywhere

I was trying to test out my new amp yesterday and I did not know if i was getting a surround signal. I wanted to use the surround as it was meant to be and not have the amp "make it up" as it can do.

Should my Onkyo HT S3305 always be showing PCM as the input? I think this is correct and then the amp does the processing???

Thanks for any help! I find this more confusing by the day!

A

Anonymous

I did try that but didnt see anything, maybe it was not in DD or DS!!!

A

Anonymous

Hello,

I do not have sky movies but I have HD and all the sports channels, I assume football would be in DS???

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
iainl2005:Is there an improvement with the coaxial over the optical? I find the sound very low through my optical.

Watched a movie today and then some other stuff on Sky and there is quite a noticeable improvement in sound with the QED coaxial cable. Switched back to the optical for a comparison and the sound is much thinner and less dynamic.

TRENDING THREADS