Sky Broadband - the magic of a new N router to speed things up

Juzzie Wuzzie

So this was the situation, 8mb Sky Broadband package with the stock standard Netgear DG934GT wireless router attached - generating a cool 1mb download speed according the broadbandspeedchecker. NOT ACCEPTABLE although couldn't be bothered with the hassle of switching away from Sky.

Solution. I purchased a Buffalo N-Router to act as the wireless router, with the Netgear simply providing the internet feed. Result, speeds nown increased to 6mb download speed, and internet noticeably faster.

Thoughts?

scene

Would have if it's just the wireless routing. I assume the Buffalo is connected to an ethernet port on the Netgear, hence wired. So I'd go with the professor - something wrong with the netgear's radio.

Juzzie Wuzzie

The Netgear is over two years old, so anything is possible. I think the radio probably has "gone" as my flat is only 54m2 and I would get coverage everywhere. Now I take the laptop into the bedroom, and it just won't see the Netgear. Any ideas how to test it further?

Should I ask Sky for a new router, or is that just begging for a three hour phone call?

A

Anonymous

Or do what I did, if you dont have a laptop and have a PC upstairs.

Use the G router, and get home plugs for about 40.00, and no more drop outs, and its as if the PC upstairs is conected direct to the ethernet.

Amazing piece of kit.

Juzzie Wuzzie

@PH - agreed - prefer the N router (as we are connecting Macbooks and Airport Expresses with N spec) so it is better - esp with the NAS attached. And, just can't be bothered with the Sky fight! It was a £60 investment, so not the end of the world.

@Canada16 - if I go upstairs, I'm in the neighbours flat. Welcome to central London!

scene

There are a number of posts online complaining of issues with the Netgear router on Sky and performance / drop outs. So it may be that this is a possible issue with the router generally.

However, as you say you used to "get coverage everywhere" it may be that you're getting radio interference from another router (someone else on Sky broadband in another flat). You might want to try to change the channel that your router and card are talking on from the routers setting page - its address is http://192.168.0.1

You'll need to do this with your laptop wired to the router, as changing the channels will lose your wifi connection.

You'll might need the admin user name and password - by default they are
  • user: admin
  • password: sky
If they have been changed, you'll need to look online as to how to find out what they are (posting rules here prevent me linking to the relevant forum I think)

Usually the channel is defaulted to Channel 6. Try moving it to another channel, then reboot the router and try your laptop wireless.

There is a good skyuser forum that covers this with pretty pictures
emotion-1.gif

Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts