sky 3D

CraigDS

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
Hello and happy new year. (when do we stop wishing people a happy new year?)

I have a new Sky HD box with Sky World package & a Sony 46HX903 tv.

How do I watch 3D content? Do I need a new HDMI cable etc

cheers

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Assuming you have the transmitter and glasses for your new Sony TV, you're good to go - existing HDMI cable will be fine for Sky.

You need to get Sky to enable your 3D feed, however - there's an 'Activate Sky 3D' section here on the Sky website.

Incidentally, there's a feature on living with Sky 3D in our new, February issue.

CraigDS

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
turned to channel 217 and see the screan split in two down the middle but the picture is very pixelated and "jumpy". All the other channels are clear!

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
You have to set your screen on side by side to do this on your sony tv press the 3d button,then press options then choose 3d format then select side by side.you have to do this every time you want to watch the 3d channel.Hope this helps.

CraigDS

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
Changed format to side-by-side but the picture is still not clear. The only way I can describe the picture is if when your watching Sky and it is snowing heavy outside and in interfere's with the picture and you sea lots of pixels. Must be a Sky problem???

CraigDS

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
Ha Ha yes I have everything. I can see a clear 3D image but only for a few seconds at a time and then there is interference.

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Don't worry Graig, you appear to have caught 'chud' on one of his more helpful days and I'm sure the Engineering and R&D staff at Sky and the broadcast equipment manufacturers would disagree with his 'unproven technology' accusation.

If your signal on all other channels is fine, then this is more than likely a problem with your box not believing you have paid Fuhrer Murdoch for the privilege of receiving his new glorious 3D. The Sky 3D signal is no different to their 2D transmissions - it is still a 1080i picture but with each eye recorded as a half resolution squeezed image on each side of the frame (hence side by side). All your Sky box does is to confirm with Sky headquarters that you have paid to receive the 3D service and if so it is then able to accept the signal and then decrypt it- it is your TV which is converting that picture into a 3D image (as per SonyCentre's instructions) not the Sky box. And as it is an ordinary 1080i signal, it is not due to any 1.4/1.3 hdmi handshaking problems.

If you tune into a 3D channel and leave your TV in 2D with the side by side image, does that pixelate after a couple of minutes or does it remain stable? If the side by side image remains unpixellated, then it is something to do with your TV's decoding, the 3D transmitter (inbuilt or external) or it could even be the glasses - do you have more than one pair and if so, does it do it on both of them?

Have you tried a system reset on your Sky box ? - it often works wonders on my Virgin V+ box (usually after I've kicked it when it has gone into its post 23.00 'You can press the remote as much as you want, but I'll change the channel when I'm ready, thank you' mode.).

Perhaps if none of these work or point you in the right direction, a call to Sky themselves may well be in order...

Rob

CraigDS

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for your reply.

The problem turned out to be a weak signal strength. I had 14% but now 99% Woo Hoo!

Simple fix, just adjusting the dish outside.

Sky 3D working fine now and I hope this helps people out in the future.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts