Single vs Multi DAC Players

Hamiltonblue

Jul 3, 2021
Visit site
Hello
I am reading reviews on a few MP3 Players by Astell & Kern.
In the specs on these and a couple of others I see that they seem to include single and multi DAC's.
The file type support seem to match on the units.
What is the benefit of having multiple DAC's? Are they all used the same time or are they typically selected?
Also, do Hi Res MP3 players typically include an adjustable equalizer or are they typically fixed?
Thanks
Jim

Quite often it is one DAC per channel I believe. The latest A&K has swappable DACs.
They all tend to have some form of inbuilt equaliser, often with preset examples, at least my Onkyo has, and the A&K range
My Onkyo has ESS Technology Sabre ES9018K2M DACs, as well as two Sabre 9601K amps, the symmetrical circuit design leads to better control over balanced signals.

Last edited:

Gray

I think, from an early review I read somewhere, the idea in this (A&K) case was merely to give users a choice of DAC type.
Only one would be in use at any time. I could be wrong, but it would be easy enough to check before purchase.
If true, I reckon it's a bit extravagant, but maybe they did it so as not to limit their market. (Some people favour one DAC brand over the other to the point of exclusion when choosing).

D

Deleted member 116933

Its more commonly found in balanced designs, so they decode for each channel and as stated should in theory lower the noise floor.

Denefrips, for example, employ dual balanced designs and further up the chain in their product line up have a number of DAC's deployed on each channel. But that's not the norm at all.

Gray

Didn't examine the entire program:
AK USB-C Dual DAC - 2x Cirrus Logic CS43198
AK KANN ALPHA - dual DAC ESS ES9068AS
Pretty sure one of theirs is switchable between DAC brands.
Seem to recall it being expensive (unsurprisingly).

EDIT: Found the model SE200. The review I read was somewhere else, but here's the WHF one:
'Each DAC has its own outputs'.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts