Simple question which streamer sounds better Squeezebox or Roku or ...

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I have narrowed down my choices to these 3 boxes to stream music from my network drive to living room. My budget is around 300 so which one is better in music Squeezebox, Roku or Netgear eva8000 with netgear a have added option of video streaming but it is not that important. So which one is more musical?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="hifi_nut"]No question. Squeezebox.[/quote]Agreed - it's also extremely flexible.

Robert

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Have you considered the PS3? Will work as a media client over WiFi out of the box. You'll also be able to play Blue Ray discs and browse the web (assumes you have broad band). Oh, you can also play games. I have one which forms a part of my secondary kitchen system. I like to view the recent Planet Earth backdrop upgrade on the TV when listening to music too. Spectacular!

I have recently changed my network to use the domestic ring main for enhanced security and due to recent concerns regarding WiFi and children's health....I have 3 under 4! These concerns may be rubbish, but why chance it especially with the security benefits hard wired networks bring?

I am sure that the other media clients you mention provide many additional features. But do you need them?

nads

I have the Soundbridge and currently run it from the 3.5mm jack to the amp sounds great (station dependent) i am contemplating a separate DAC but it is not a MUST at the moment so when i have a spare 100 i will have a dabble.

i use it for both net radio and streaming from my 2 pc's.

A

Anonymous

Just to be different, try the omnifi DMP1, I got one off Ebay last year and it sounds great, can be used either wired ethernet or wifi!

nads

[quote user="fr0g"][quote user="nads"]I have the Soundbridge and currently run it from the 3.5mm jack to the amp sounds great (station dependent) i am contemplating a separate DAC but it is not a MUST at the moment so when i have a spare 100 i will have a dabble.

i use it for both net radio and streaming from my 2 pc's.[/quote]
Strangely enough I have a Pinnacle (last of line) badged M1001 on loan from my local HifiKlubben at the moment. It sounds ok, but apparently it does some daft upsampling from 44.1 to 48 before it goes through my DAC :/

I may leave it and wait for a bit... The squeezebox seems the streamer of audiophile choice for the moment... although I expect a raft of them soon, once they realise that bit-perfect WAV/FLAC/APE/etc playback is in fact superior to ANY CD player.[/quote]

thats what i have the Pinnacle M1001 did have it hard wired as i could not get it to connect to my wireless, But someone in the block has not locked their wireless so...... i would be very interested in your thoughts about it native and with DAC. either on net radio or as a streamer. purely sound wise.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
I got a SH Roku M2000 because of this up-sampling stupidity. I use it with an external DAC Cyrus DAC X. This sounds really good.

I use Flac compression and have the files stored on a NAS (I am not keen on having the computer on every time I want to use the Roku). I had to use a modified operating system on the NAS which allowed telnet access. With it I was able to install firefly media server.

The M2000 can not at present transcode Flac files despite everyone pleading for it. The firely transcode "on the fly" to .wav files prior to streaming. I can now stream via ethernet cabling, The .wav files being to big for wifi.

I have been listening to Internet radio with the Roku . Some good music there, sound quality is a bit iffy though.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
I originally wanted to use the Roku in wifi mode, but I found that every few minutes, the Roku would keep re buffering. You could not listen to the music under those conditions.

I initially used the Roku's supplied wifi "Card" then changed to a DLink Ethernet/ wifi transmitter/reciever (similar to DWL-G820 ).

I had this in perfect line of sight about 3M seperation and still the Roku buffered.

If I access a MP3 file there was no problem (other then I didn't like the sound quality), there was no buffering.

When I replaced the wifi link with a direct ethernet link there was no buffering.

Now because:

1.MP3 files (as you know) are much smaller then the fuller .wav files.

2. Roku buffered when ethernet/wifi link was used (and not when the pure ethernet link was used).

I concluded that the wifi link was not upto it.

Incidentally I got no drop outs with MP3 or internet radio

I know the latest firmware for Roku is supposed to be able to use apple lossless natively, but I have been "warned" off doing that be the number of people saying apple lossless sounds inferier ( despite it being lossless- no I don't understand that either). I don't fancy recoding all my Flac files to find later on that I don't like the quality.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts