signature says it all

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
Well I got 2 of my hifi nut friends round this morning to do a blind listening test between the Bel Canto gear and the AVI ADM9.1s and, as much as I hate to admit it, when I said yesterday that I preferred the sound with the Dac 3..... it was wishful thinking. So, the Bel Cantos have been photographed and boxed up and now await a loving new home.

With the proceeds i will purchase a setup for the study. Who knows...... maybe another pair of 9.1s! 

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
mikeinbrum:
Well I got 2 of my hifi nut friends round this morning to do a blind listening test between the Bel Canto gear and the AVI ADM9.1s and, as much as I hate to admit it, when I said yesterday that I preferred the sound with the Dac 3..... it was wishful thinking. So, the Bel Cantos have been photographed and boxed up and now await a loving new home.

With the proceeds i will purchase a setup for the study. Who knows...... maybe another pair of 9.1s!ÿ

Mike, your mini review and this latest post has led me to check out the AVI website. I had no idea what these speakers look like and I had not read anything about them, other than on here.

Two things will stop me from buying these speakers. The first is the look. I know it should be all about sound but I don't like the look - or the idea of connections trailing to the back of a speaker. [THE SECOND HAS BEEN EDITED BY MODS - please don't discuss banned posters]

Maybe I'm missing out, but who cares...

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
[EDITED BY MODS - please don't discuss banned posters] In the flesh, the speakers are rather handsome. I would post pictures, but I don't know how- what size do i need to scale them to?

To those that do feel put off, I would say to you that the product more than justifies the bluster. It's just a shame that as in Chebby's post when he had just bought his new Naim kit, that the opportunity was used to tell Chebby why his new purchase was inferior. That was a little mean.ÿ

ÿ

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
mikeinbrum:It's just a shame that as in Chebby's post when he had just bought his new Naim kit, that the opportunity was used to tell Chebby why his new purchase was inferior. That was a little mean.

Oh that's okay. There is still Eddie. He will need to work twice as hard now but I am sure he will oblige us
emotion-1.gif

(Even our Eddie has a bit of a 'thing' for some Naim gear.)

I am glad you have found musical satisfaction (as have I).

I wish we could have heard more from Martin the AVI designer.

A

Anonymous

Mike,

What are you thinking?

You could buy an unpowered amplifier, DAC with eBay mods, and inferior passive crossovers for the same money!

;)

PS - The 5i is very nice but I owned one years ago before CD players without digital inputs became obsolete.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:mikeinbrum:

With the proceeds i will purchase a setup for the study. Who knows...... maybe another pair of 9.1s!

Mike, your mini review and this latest post has led me to check out the AVI website. I had no idea what these speakers look like and I had not read anything about them, other than on here. Two things will stop me from buying these speakers. The first is the look. I know it should be all about sound but I don't like the look - or the idea of connections trailing to the back of a speaker. [THE SECOND HAS BEEN EDITED BY MODS - please don't discuss banned posters]

Maybe I'm missing out, but who cares...

[EDITED BY MODS - please don't discuss moderation]

A

Anonymous

Crikey. So let me get this straight, you find the ADM9.1's so good that you're selling your Bel Canto kit? This isn't helping my AVI itch...

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
I'm afraid so. Not just me. The wife, and 2 hifi nut friends....both of whom are now in a quandry as to whether they're going to take the leap too.

A

Anonymous

...but I could use the funds to get an iPod touch and NAS too...

...or maybe I'll just enjoy what I have.

A

Anonymous

Iggy,

You could do what I will call a "mikeinbrum", and buy a cheap system for your office.

A

Anonymous

They wouldn't fit in my home office, story of my hifi life...

A

Anonymous

Eddie Pound:
Iggy,

You could do what I will call a "mikeinbrum", and buy a cheap system for your office.

BTW, what do you use Eddie?

matthewpiano

mikeinbrum:Well, everything's up on ebay now. Here's hoping for a fair price!

I don't want to rain on your parade or anything but this all seems to be happening very quickly. Are you sure you have taken long enough to be absolutely positive about this move?

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
Absolutely. I really wanted the ADM9.1s to be a nice solution for my study but show up the quality of my expensively sourced Bel Canto gear.... Sadly..... they far surpassed my original kit. I even tried to pretend to myself I preferred the sound of my main system. But. Faced with a blind test crew of 3 and their unanimous verdict, I had to stop pretending to myself!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You won't get an argument from me about the quality of the ADM's but how did you conduct your 'blind' listening session? How often did you switch over and for how long did you play any given system? What music did you use?

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
All cabling was switched behind my sofa so noone could see what was being put where, music varied from genre to genre but was always .flac lossless format. Listening spells varied according to what was considered a representative portion of the track in question- including any large changes in instrumentation / vocal etc. Each segment of the song was played 4 times (2 of each)

Rudimentary I know, but the best we could do under the circumstances!

TRENDING THREADS