should i upgrade my speakers?

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I recently upgraded my source to a Marantz NA-S11 streamer and love it. I recently integrated this into my main system and it sounds great however i know now the weak link in my system is my speakers.

my system is as follows: Musical fidelity 550K monobloc amps, Musical fidelity A5 preamp, Monitor audio RS6 speakers.

Now as i recently bought the streamer i dont have the money to splash out big on speakers but i got thinking if i sold the RS6 speakers say for £ 300ish and put in say £300 ish could i get a decent level up in sound?

My initial thoughts are to move up in the monitor audio range say the GS20. Has anyone compared these to the RS6's and is there difference between them and would be it a worthwhile upgrade until i have alot more to spend on speakers?

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
£600 will get you very good older speakers on ebay ... thats what I would do

I paid less than £120 for my old B&W DM2 speakers ... for your sort of money, I would be looking at something like old Yamaha NS1000m or even IMF TLS80

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the link but im looking for floorstanders.

What im really trying to assess is whether it is worth upgrading from the RS6 to GS20/60 or even RX8.

Has anyone heard these various speakers and did you find any difference between them. i heard that the GS series is a tad smoother than the rs series is this true ?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Monitor Audio paired with Musical Fidelity sounds like a very bright pairing to me but if that's the sound you like then fair play. What type of music do you listen to so that I can make some suggestions?

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Monitor Audio paired with Musical Fidelity sounds like a very bright pairing to me but if that's the sound you like then fair play. What type of music do you listen to so that I can make some suggestions?

i actually dont like a bright sound and find the RS6 slightly to bright however i dont think either my MF amps or marantz streamer have these traits.

i actually want to upgrade my speakers in a big way but cannot afford to spend these money on speakers atm.

however if i could sell my RS6 and put a small amount of money in and get a level or 2 up in sound quality then i would consider doing this. i naturally looked up the monitor audio range as a consequence. if there is a justified improvement in the gs20/60 then i would consider this option

i listen to R&B, Dance, electronic, reggae, hip hop etc.

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
If it were me i would try and save a little more to get a reasonable upgrade, Kef r500's would be a good starting block, second had they are around 900 ish which will give you a decent step up in quality.

I think speakers like monitor audio rx6 etc will be more of a sideway step.

obviously there are other makes available which you can try, you may like the bowers and wilkins s2 range which again will be an improvement but may be harder to find second hand due to them being slightly newer.

both of these recommendations should eleviate your brightness issue aswell.

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
MickyBlue said:
If it were me i would try and save a little more to get a reasonable upgrade, Kef r500's would be a good starting block, second had they are around 900 ish which will give you a decent step up in quality.

I think speakers like monitor audio rx6 etc will be more of a sideway step.

obviously there are other makes available which you can try, you may like the bowers and wilkins s2 range which again will be an improvement but may be harder to find second hand due to them being slightly newer.

both of these recommendations should eleviate your brightness issue aswell.

Thanks for the reply. Yes i agree that the RX6 would be a sideways move but what about the GS series so GS20/60 surely that would be a fairly large step up?

It would be good if people who have heard all these different variations could comment on the difference in sound.

Appreciate the suggestions on the R500 they are very decent however as you mention you wouldnt be able to to get hold of them so cheaply.

TRENDING THREADS