Should I smash the IPOD with a hammer ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

We both have IPODs at home but have recently ditched the Desktop Home PC for a laptop - The Desktop is stored away in the loft and I have nowhere to re set it up!

How can I EASILY transfer all of our tunes from the IPOD onto the laptop without messing around with CDs etc or needing to set up the desktop again.

We currently use ITUNES and have spent hours and hours filling our IPODs with stuff.

Why doesnt ITUNES let you plug in your ipod and say 'do you want to copy your ipod content to this PC?'

Its driving me mad that we cant do that! Is there another program othert than ITUNES that will let us simply plug in and zap them to the laptop.

ITUNES is easy in some ways and that format we like HOWEVER not being able to transfer the stuff is driving me mad!

Please help before I get a big hammer!

Jamie

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
JamietheMagician:Hi All,

We both have IPODs at home but have recently ditched the Desktop Home PC for a laptop - The Desktop is stored away in the loft and I have nowhere to re set it up!

How can I EASILY transfer all of our tunes from the IPOD onto the laptop without messing around with CDs etc or needing to set up the desktop again.

We currently use ITUNES and have spent hours and hours filling our IPODs with stuff.

Why doesnt ITUNES let you plug in your ipod and say 'do you want to copy your ipod content to this PC?'

Its driving me mad that we cant do that! Is there another program othert than ITUNES that will let us simply plug in and zap them to the laptop.

ITUNES is easy in some ways and that format we like HOWEVER not being able to transfer the stuff is driving me mad!

Please help before I get a big hammer!

Jamie

A quick Google gives me one called CopyTrans, but I dont know if it works... My missus is away and has her iPod.
Buy it's meant as a one way street (one reason I would NEVER again buy an Apple product).

Assuming the destop PC is where all your music is held, then the best bet is to get hold of a cheap drivebay enclosure. (Just go to any PC store (preferably not the big one as they know zilch about zilch), and ask.

Heres an example search on a shop I used to use, in Manchester...
Drivebay enclosure

You can simply take out the Harddrive from the desktop PC, and use it as an external USB drive...

A

Anonymous

"Why doesnt ITUNES let you plug in your ipod and say 'do you want to copy your ipod content to this PC?"

Im no expert, but Id imagine it's so that you cant borrow a mate's 60gb iPod crammed with music and simply transfer it all to your own pc...

Ive heard it's easier to transfer mp3s from the ipod if you set it up as an external hard drive then copy across.

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Google ipod access, I think the website is findleydesigns.com. Costs about a tenner, will allow you to transfer music from your ipod back to the pc, have used this programme for 3 years its very good and easy to use, especially last year when my hard drive crashed

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
sorry ill be no help, i just wanted to ask - did you buy the songs from itunes? it isnt clear, as you mention messing about with CDs? I only ask because, if the songs come from CDs, its bizzarre that they wont let you do as you please with them.

anyway,

...sorry.

A

Anonymous

If you are running windows XP (may work on Vista but never used it) this has worked for me in the past. (I apologise running a mac now so trying to remember the steps)ÿ

In one of the pull down menus select folder options, in this select/tick box for: view all files secret and hidden.

ÿThen select your ipod as a normal removable drive (not through itunes). Through the hidden files on it you should find you music (The music folder then has lots of folders which have random 4 letters below them).ÿ

Once you have found this folder drag it onto the computers hard drive.

Tell itunes to look at this folder it will then find all your music and will copy it to its own itunes folder and put it all in order.

You can then delete the original ipod folder you dragged across.

ÿHope this is some helpÿ

John Duncan

Google Sharepod, or copy all your iTunes library from one PC to the other - by network, external SB drive, whatever. I did find that purchased music became non-purchased music though, if that matters.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts