Should I go with all one brand when setting up a new system?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all. I am relatively new to high-end audio systems and am on the verge of setting up a new system. At this stage, at the top of the list is a Rega Brio-R amp, a Rega DAC and Rega RS-1 speakers. My first question is what advantages, if any, do people think I would gain by going with components with all one brand?

Second, what do people think of this specific set-up? I'd be listening to mainly vocal, acoustic and classical music in a rooma bout 4m by 4m. It must soudn good at relatively low volumes.

Third, do I really need a DAC?

Many thanks in advance! Simon

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
The amp and speakers should most definitely be on your shortlist to audition for the type of music you’ll be listening to.

With regards to needing a DAC that will depend upon what you’re going to be using as a source.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, Sizzers. Yes, should have said: I'll initally mainly be streaming uncompressed files from my computer and possibly compressed ones from an iPhone.

My path to my current situation was that I began looking for high-end wireless speakers but found even the best woefully unsatisfactory mainly because you couldn't listen in stereo! (What's the point?) So, after a bit more research, I thought I should go for something as sweet-sounding as I could afford and just make it wireless (and add other components -- eg a turntable -- as I went on).

S

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Well in that case you do need a DAC.

Fellow member Steve Brock has exactly the same all-Rega set-up you’re thinking of so I’m sure he’ll be along at some point (not so sure he’s an acoustic/vocals type of guy, though, but could be wrong).

By all accounts the Brio has an excellent phono stage so you do have that as a future investment. With regards to the speakers I would also have a look at Focal 706V’s. They have far greater scale than the RS1’s which you may well prefer for classical music: they still have the same clarity and detail but just lose out a bit against the Rega’s exceptional timimg.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, all, for responses so far. And, Richard, thanks for the steer on the AVI ADM9. Apart from the convenience, what do you think of the quality?

S

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
SimonDB said:
Third, do I really need a DAC?
Based on your intended setup, I'd definitely recommend trying one. An Apple AirPort Express or Apple TV would work well with either the Rega or AVI systems. This will allow you to stream from your computer using Airfoil and from your iPhone using AirPlay.

You can also add a turntable to both the Rega and AVI setup. For the latter you would also need to add a phono stage (the Rega Fono MM for example).

Both setups lack a headphone output, if that is a concern (a pair of sensitive cans paired with your iPhone could solve this).

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
The ADM9s have moved on some way since the review.

I demoed the 9RS when I got my ADM40s and they are truly fantastic. In fact I'm getting a pair to use as front speakers in my TV system.

The 9RS cost £1250.

And they now offer an option to upgrade the tweeter to a Scanspeak one

Have a look at their site, they sell direct so demoing is harder, if you live within reach of Nailsworth you should go and have a listen.

A

Anonymous

What is the advantage of the ScanSpeak tweeters, by the way?

S

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Nothing per se.

Higher quality and much more expensive. It has resulted in other work with the speaker as well, and it's a £150 option. It's the same tweeter as the ADM40.

Ive not heard the SS option, so if you could it would be good to compare the two and assess if it was worth it.

Whatever, the ADM9RS will be pretty hard to beat.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts