Should I buy a new DAC?

Jerningham

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi, looking for some advice on upgrading my DAC? I have an existing system consisting of a Musical Fidelity A3 pre and power amp and MF A3.24 DAC (with separate CDT). I have been considering updating the dac and looking at two options: buy a new DAC ( like the reviews of the Arcam M-DAC) or send my existing DAC back to MF for them to upgrade. Would appreciate any advice. Would an MF factory upgrade be better than a more modern DAC? Thanks

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
If your current DAC is functioning well, I wouldn't bother. You'll notice little, if any difference even if you spend much more.

If you have a good system (like you do), speakers might be the only worthwhile upgrade.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Jerningham said:
I'm going to borrow an Audiolab dac from a friend and see if there is any difference. Speakers are always more difficult to get right!

I concur with Richard.

If it's working, you are unlikely to notice much of an improvement if any.

And yes, speakers are more difficult because that's where the real gains can be made, especially if you have a capable amplifier.

Jerningham

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. In terms of speakers I am using QLN stand mounts (the version with external crossover). I have had for a long time, but really like the sound. But accept there are probably better out there now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts