Should I buy a Motorola Moto G

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
OK - here's the problem. When I took early retirement last year, I found myself in the position of having to buy my own mobile for the first time (and, also for the first time, pay my own mobile bills). I really don't use the thing much and it is almost more of a comfort blanket than anything else. I happened to buy a sim free Nokia in Damascus duty free a couple of years ago for about £15 and that coupled with a Lebara Sim Card actually suits me down to the ground - the battery lasts forever between charges, it's got bluetooth for the car, I spend very little on calls (Lebara PAYG Credits do not time expire) and I really don't need it to do anything else. However, the appearance of good budget smart phones is now making me rethink. I have had my eyes on a 16GB Motorola Moto G and wanted to ask a couple of questions of you clever people on this site - from other posts, I know that at least a couple of you have used the same phone:

1. Can I just pop my current 'calls only' Lebara sim card into the Motorola after it has been cut down to 'mini sim' size and use it as I do at the moment in the Nokia (ie. for calls only)? The advantage is that I can then keep the same number?

2. If the answer is yes, can I then use the Motorola GPS facility as a stand alone with offline maps etc. as I currently do with my Nexus 7 tablet?

If those things can be done, the phone would be an ideal travel companion and save me having to carry both a phone and tablet and perhaps even an iPod.

Any advice much appreciated.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend a Nokia Lumia 520 for around £70 if you really want a cheap 'smart phone' for occasional use.

Free offline maps and navigation from Nokia and free Nokia music service.

You can expand memory to 64GB using micro SD card.

John Duncan

As long as you buy a sim-free one (as opposed to a locked one; I think Tescos offer both). It'll be about 20 quid more expensive AFAICT. For the price I'm tempted to try one in preference to a Nexus 5 (but haven't been able to quite bring myself to buy a mildly inferior phone just yet).

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Tino, Thanks for that. Instinct tells me to stick with an android phone as I like and am used to the way android works and have always found the various mapping and travel apps great for overseas travel. I am no expert but AFAIK availability of such things is nowehere near as good with a Windows phone (at least, not yet).

JD. Thanks also for your contribution.

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Yes to both of your questions.

Just make sure you turn off 'data' so that you dont inadvertantly use any data when apps are trying to update or sync.

I had written a better reply, but the forum wont let me post as its saying my reply was spam!

ayjaycee said:
Tino, Thanks for that. Instinct tells me to stick with an android phone as I like and am used to the way android works and have always found the various mapping and travel apps great for overseas travel. I am no expert but AFAIK availability of such things is nowehere near as good with a Windows phone (at least, not yet).

JD. Thanks also for your contribution.

I had a Lumia 920 prior to my current HTC One. Its mapping system is excellent, the best on the market after google maps. You can download maps of almost all countries.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts