Should I buy a DAC - if so, which one?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having moved over to a Squeezebox 3 based system for convenience reasons I now want to make sure I am getting the best out of my music. I am currently running a stock SB3 via analogue outs into a NAD C325BEE and then Monitor Audio RS1 speakers. All my music is lossless but I don't think I am really getting the best out of it from my current set-up and I think the SB3 is probably the limiting factor. I can't pinpoint exactly what is wrong with the sound but it just doesn't sound as exciting as I would like and so I'm thinking that maybe an external DAC would bring my set-up back into the leagues of 'proper' hi-fi. Any advice or experiences? Money is obviously a limiting factor and don't want to spend more than £500 on a DAC, would however consider either new or second-hand at this price point. Have heard many good things about the Beesford TC-7510 but at only £100 part of me thinks this shouldn't be as good as people make out. Could obviously try one out but would be interested in others views first. Have posted this in the hi-fi forum rather than mp3 as I am looking for sound quality as the main criteria.

A

Anonymous

If you want to try this out and minimise risks of losing money if you don't like the sound I'd recommend finding something second hand as at least you'll be likely to resale without any/much loss.

The Beresford divides opinons, as does the Benchmark DAC1, which should be achievable within budget at used prices. My advice would be to experiment and give a few a go.
Alternatively you could try a more upmarket streaming device such as the SB+, Transporter, or the new Linn entry-level one - I think it's call the Slinky or something like that.
Yet another alternative would be an pre amp with DAC or integrated amp with DAC or active speakers with DAC built in, which gives you the benefit of upgrading of areas of the system too!
There's lots out there.

A

Anonymous

Integrated amps with DAC built in....just searched for these and have now decided that a NAIM SUPERNAIT is probably the answer to all my problems. Now just need to sell the wife....

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JamesBernal"]Integrated amps with DAC built in....just searched for these and have now decided that a NAIM SUPERNAIT is probably the answer to all my problems. Now just need to sell the wife....[/quote]

Overrated and overpriced in my ever so humble opinion but I have'nt really explored the dac yet so just concerns the amp section. Dont sell the wife ... yet
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts