Should a manufacturers...

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
sudden increase in the RRP of a product reflect heavily on the second hand market price? I'm talking about a sudden 25% price increase without mentioning any brand names. ;-)

The soon to be for sale item is less than a year old and in absolutely mint condition but was purchased before the inflated price was applied.

Interested in any opinions as I've never sold on the second hand market myself, prefering in the past to trade in towards a new purchase...

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Yes, it works both ways though. If you are selling me an amp that's 300 new, I might give you 200 for it. I don't care if you paid 600 last year, I'm basing second hand value on the saving I make now.

If you bought it for 100 last year and it's 300 now, you'd expect to get 200 now as second hand, what you paid does not matter

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Your post mirrors my thinking on the subject. The increase in price was substantial so was wondering what a fair price was . Thanks for your input.

luckylion100 said:
Your post mirrors my thinking on the subject. The increase in price was substantial so was wondering what a fair price was . Thanks for your input.

Although I see the logic in this thinking it is a sellers logic. As always it's really worth simply what someone is willing to pay for it and, in most cases these days, it's a buyers market.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
luckylion100 said:

Although I see the logic in this thinking it is a sellers logic. As always it's really worth simply what someone is willing to pay for it and, in most cases these days, it's a buyers market.

I suppose there's only one way to find out.

insider9

Before the price increase on Sonos I managed to purchase 2 x Sonos Connect and a Connect Amp. I was curious how they sound and really needed one. I've managed to haggle the price down to acceptable level. It was more convenient for the guy to deal with one person than three so took the lot. I've patiently waited a few weeks for prices to go up and to do my listening tests and made a very tidy profit.

Yes, the used prices will eventually reflect the price increase. It may not be same percentage point increase but will definitely be an increase to current second hand prices. Also I'd wait for them to stabilise before selling. Reasonably one pay cycle should be enough.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:
Before the price increase on Sonos I managed to purchase 2 x Sonos Connect and a Connect Amp. I was curious how they sound and really needed one. I've managed to haggle the price down to acceptable level. It was more convenient for the guy to deal with one person than three so took the lot. I've patiently waited a few weeks for prices to go up and to do my listening tests and made a very tidy profit.

Yes, the used prices will eventually reflect the price increase. It may not be same percentage point increase but will definitely be an increase to current second hand prices. Also I'd wait for them to stabilise before selling. Reasonably one pay cycle should be enough.

that the price increase is at least several months old now. Just checked online and this past week or so one almost indentical item (same finish etc) but 'new' with mark on it went for almost the original RRP. I'm not here to fleece anyone, just wondered what a realistic asking price would be, ball park figure. If I can amass enough funds to warrant selling it and then explore a slightly different route I will do so,

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
insider9 said:

that the price increase is at least several months old now. Just checked online and this past week or so one almost indentical item (same finish etc) but 'new' with mark on it went for almost the original RRP. I'm not here to fleece anyone, just wondered what a realistic asking price would be, ball park figure. If I can amass enough funds to warrant selling it and then explore a slightly different route I will do so,

Its a market. The second hand price is set by the willingness of buyers to buy, and that in turn is set by the new price of the product. Increase the new price, and assuming that the specification remains the same, then the second hand price will follow, irrespective of the original purchase price of the product.

Looking at Ebay 'sold' listings is a good way to establish the current market clearing price for a product.

insider9

I was wondering when you said sudden, thinking... Oppo? But now it makes more sense. Remember asking price and what you're going to get are often two different things.

As a buyer I would expect a reasonable discount as Muljao said. At the same time asking to recoup what you've paid for them would only be seen as reasonable and not profiteering.

I would warn you about eBay and their flawed protection policy which can and often is abused by buyers.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
andyjm said:
luckylion100 said:
insider9 said:

Its a market. The second hand price is set by the willingness of buyers to buy, and that in turn is set by the new price of the product. Increase the new price, and assuming that the specification remains the same, then the second hand price will follow, irrespective of the original purchase price of the product.

Looking at Ebay 'sold' listings is a good way to establish the current market clearing price for a product.

Exactly what I'm doing at present. I'm in no hurry. Thanks for the advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts