Serial box-swappers

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
No names no pack drill but some enthusiasts do seem to change bits of their hifi with each new moon sometimes. It's how they roll and they are entitled to do it, but 18 months after buying my AVI DM10's they still surprise and delight me when listening to some of my lesser-played albums. And so it has always been, not just the DM10's but every other piece of hifi I've ever bought. After all, most of us have day-jobs (or night jobs!) and there's only so much time you can devote to listening.

Don't get me wrong, if you clearly don't like the sound of your new amp / speakers / whatever, it's wise to get rid or take them back rather than try to learn to like them. I've said that in countless threads. But sometimes I do see people get shot of kit so quickly, and I think jeeze, you couldn't even nearly have assessed how that promises to perform over the long haul when you've only watched its first 100 meters.

The industry (this magazine included) of course wants you to swap and change incessantly. If we stopped buying kit, they would go out of business. But still.

insider9

I am one of these :) You are indeed correct I have been too hasty with changes in the past. Judging too quickly. Nowadays I give myself a month of good listening before making changes. I've stopped with AB or ABX nonsense. I want to get the sound first of all and it's ok if it's not for me.

However changes for me are not exactly about straight sonic gains. They are about exploration and gaining valuable experience. They are often about challenging my own perception of what sounds good to me. Challenging of how I can achieve different things. I don't intend to stop for now and it's far from being in anyway unhappy about the sound I'm getting. It's better than its ever been and I listen to more music than ever before. A lot of it are albums I've not heard before.

idc

I am a keeper, rather than a changer. My hifi changes tended to be as formats changed, so LP to cassette to CD to MP4s etc, or with house moves and what fitted. I would audition and research to death to make sure I liked what I was going to buy.

I also tend to keep the cars and motorbikes I have bought for a good few years before they change and the change is never on a whim. It is due to increased costs, breakdowns or a change of need.

Even if I had the money to change on a whim, I don't think I would.

idc said:
I am a keeper, rather than a changer. My hifi changes tended to be as formats changed, so LP to cassette to CD to MP4s etc, or with house moves and what fitted. I would audition and research to death to make sure I liked what I was going to buy.

I also tend to keep the cars and motorbikes I have bought for a good few years before they change and the change is never on a whim. It is due to increased costs, breakdowns or a change of need.

Even if I had the money to change on a whim, I don't think I would.

Those with money will always endeavour to better that which they currently own. It is this that drives the industry and hence all supporting industry and partners, such that all hifi magazines are. I stopped at a point where I had amplification and speakers sorted and concentrated on improving my sources. No doubt if I win the lottery things may revert to the norm. ;-)

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I only really change equipment when needs must, just before xmas my expensive a/v amp decided to stop working (lucky the fault was well known to the maker of said amp and they have repaired it free of charge even though it was way out of its guarantee period).

Due to budget constraints I had to purchase a second-hand replacement on ebay (same make, just newer model) and I am very happy with the new amp, even though its missing a few inputs and functions of my previous amp, I am not in a rush to replace it with the repaired model, I find the new amp more than fills my modest room with awesome Dolby Atmos and DTS-X audio through seven speakers and two subs.

Hopefully when I have a little more money to spend, all that I really need to change is my tv to a 4K model and to add a 4K bluray player.

*music2*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IME Box swapiing happens for a variety of reasons, which may include:

- You are not really happy with your system

- You are somebody that goes out and listens to a lot of different/new stuff....and as a result of what you hear, realize that you can replace what you have, with something that will bring even more enjoyment.

- You are in it for the joy of the chase...but once the prey is captured, restlessness sets in and a new hunt ensues (as you look for your next "Hit").

- You enjoy gaining experience through buying second hand kit, listening to it for a while.....and then selling it on for little loss.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I quickly peiced together a system, which luckily is performing really well. But there is the incessant urge to improve things .

The biggest decision for me was to decide that I would be listening to a all digital setup for the next 30 years. Once decided there is always the thought of improving what I already have.

Iam really really happy with the parasound amp and the PMC speakers. So next target is to get a good source.

My plan is to add a music server and next a dac with preamp functionality. And after a few years down the line , when I want a change in my sound. I will sell the parasound and PMC's, and go for a active speakers setup. Something like the ATC SCM 40 actives. So it is upgraditis with a plan :)

Innuos zenith > mytek Brooklyn dac+ > atc SCM 40 A......atleast that's the plan for now :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I think you can safely say we have all been box swappers at some point but I know with me I do enjoy buying hifi as much as I enjoy the music too but me personally I get bored well I used to not so much now but ones you have a good setup your mind says what’s next and when there nothing it gets a little boring .

I am more happier then I was since owning the Yamaha stuff and I enjoy my music more but it doesn’t stop you looking at what’s out there as now and again I have a wobble but not sure if this is a age thing but as you get older you slow down well I do when buying hifi equipment now .

when I was in my 20s it was a case of a fool and his money bright and shiny things attracted me but I wouldn’t say no to a future upgrade at some point but not in a rush

insider9

If there's nothing to fix you fix the things that may not need fixing or will not make as much difference :)

Warning going into dangerous territory...

Isolation products, mains regeneration, fancy cables including mains and digital, usb isolators, reclockers, need I continue.....

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
We.are a very small minority probably why hifi is so expensive but a wider amount of people will spend the money on a big TV but wouldn’t think of spending the same amount on a hifi unless you can class a mobile phone as a hifi as people do not want to clutter up there homes with big things

Gray

About 10 years ago I visited hundreds of homes installing TVs and the odd (very basic) surround sound systems.

I can't recall seeing any hi-fi, let alone anything good. In my experience, all of us here, box-swappers or not, are very much in the minority with the sort of boxes we've got.

Personally, I'm a sticker rather than a swapper and have never changed anything (hi-fi or otherwise) for the sake of change.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I think budget plays a large part. Upgraditis will exist as long as there are components in the chain, that can be improved within a budget one is comfortable with. Once we reach that point where any improvements are going to cost significantly more, one tends to stop. And then start with nitty gritties like isolators, reclockers and cable lifters :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
IME Box swapiing happens for a variety of reasons, which may include:

- You are not really happy with your system

- You are somebody that goes out and listens to a lot of different/new stuff....and as a result of what you hear, realize that you can replace what you have, with something that will bring even more enjoyment.

- You are in it for the joy of the chase...but once the prey is captured, restlessness sets in and a new hunt ensues (as you look for your next "Hit").

- You enjoy gaining experience through buying second hand kit, listening to it for a while.....and then selling it on for little loss.

My reason is slightly different.

I am definfivly not a box swapper anymore. Still, when a bargain came along I happened to like it. This kind of re-kindled interest a little but I only have a couple of months before it will fizzle out again until the end of Autumn.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
drummerman said:

I am definfivly not a box swapper anymore. Still, when a bargain came along I happened to like it. This kind of re-kindled interest a little but I only have a couple of months before it will fizzle out again until the end of Autumn.

Yup, "Can't resist a bargain" (of decent kit too good to miss), should have been on the list.

Your statement, "It will fizzle out again", sounded promising...but the addition of "Until the end of the Autumn", shows that your Inner Audiophile is never far below the surface. *biggrin*

I’ve spent hundreds of hours talking this subject through with my friend, wondering how far you can go improving sound and experience with hifi. After 30 years buying hifi, I’m still finding gear that improves on sound quality

clarity and soundstage have been the major improvements over the years, but I believe you need to experience all the upgrades to appreciate them.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
drummerman said:

Yup, "Can't resist a bargain" (of decent kit too good to miss), should have been on the list.

Your statement, "It will fizzle out again", sounded promising...but the addition of "Until the end of the Autumn", shows that your Inner Audiophile is never far below the surface. *biggrin*

Yup :)

Hawkwind16

May 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm too much of a box swapper currently, having tried to resist Upgraditis for several years.

I really have one main system but after an ebay binge with some surplus cash I now have 4 pairs of speakers, 4 cd players, 3 amps, one expensive record player and cartridge in a box, 3 sets of speaker cables, and probably about 6 interconnects. And a Partridge in a pear tree. I only just resisted another 'bargain' cd and amp on fleabay today, but did purchase another interconnect (Chord chorus) and power cable.

I need to clear surplus stuff but I'm too attached to some of it !

The Wealth Investment Fund Expert is grumbling.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts