Sennheiser HD-520 - replace or re-pad?

scene

I've got a vintage pair of Sennheiser HD-520s, MkI version, bought back in 1985/6 (struggling to remember which it was...)

I've already replaced the pads/foam covers once and now they need replacing again - looked at them closely while replying about another posters worn out HD-470s covers.

The question is, should I replace them or replace/upgrade them to something newer. I do like the full-ear covering, opened-backed Senns, they're very comfortable to wear and I only use them at home, so appearance is not important, nor noise leakage. It's been so long since I looked at headphones, I have no idea what cost to get equivalents would be and whether, in today's terms, the HD-520s are any good. Just for completeness, the cans have had fairly light usage over the past 25 years, only really being brought out for late night listening when it would have upset the neighbours.

Thoughts anyone?

A

Anonymous

if you're happy with the sound of them still, just re-pad them.

or take yourself to play.com and have a look at the offer they've got on a set of Goldring NS1000 headphones for 50 quid and worth every penny!

They originally cost 150 quid when they first came out. I'm listening to a set that i got sent from Play today and am very chuffed with the open , detailed and balanced sound!

There's a 5 star review on these cans here on this site if you head over to the reviews for a scan
emotion-2.gif

scene

Thanks for that idc, I do have a soft spot for my old cans. We go way back, I've actually just checked and I got them in late 89, so just under 21 years, not 25 as I stated earlier. (My memory of the late 80s to early 90s is slightly shot
emotion-22.gif
emotion-19.gif
emotion-22.gif
)

I don't think my ears are that big - so may have to give the Goldrings serious consideration.

Can I really justify two pairs of cans though?
emotion-40.gif

(Sorry - the formatting of this looks weird on my PC - not sure what's happening...
emotion-12.gif
)

(Update: Fixed - odd spaces translating as paragraph breaks...)

idc

I can justify loads of cans. Open backed home for the ultimate in aural pleasure (Grado SR80s for rock and AKG K702s for everything else). Closed backed full sized for travel/holidays (Goldrings). Closed back portable for commuting and short trips (Senn PX200s with amp and mx500s unamped). So I still absolutely need closed backed leakless for when I am at home and the family want quiet time too. That will be either AKG K271 or the new B&W P5s. Then I want ear speakers for fun and at the moment I am lookeing at the Ergos.

You so need more than one set of cans!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts