Selling it short

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Posted on similar lines before but still unable to decide.......so..........

Bearing in mind my current gear listed below, would I be doing myself an injustice by getting a Quad CDP2 to replace my CDP and DAC. It looks like an ideal solution as an all in one cdp, pre and dac. would it be considered a sideways step or an upgrade. Is it up to the quality of the amps and speakers????

Considered a Benchmark Pre as an option, keeping my CA640C....(how good is the digital volume control?)

There is a little more money available if a better solution presents itself.......

My head is turning to mush going through different possibilities of dac's, cdp's and pre's. Need to make a decision before my brain finally liquidises.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I have the same problem well kind of... I thought my amp and speakers do deserve a better source but everytime i compare my Marantz CD7 to new comer.....Ken's finest work won everytime!

You should do the same, ask dealer for a home demo of Quad CDP2 (I haven't heard the newer one) and spend few days comparing the two. (my guess...only a guess, you will have to spend well over a grand to justify an upgrade in digital format. anything cheaper will sound a bit different but not always better)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply Thaiman. It looks like I will have to dig deep and find a bit more dosh. Have you heard of Weiss DACs....any opinion? They do come in better boxes but that bumps the price up a LOT.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
raym87 - honestly have a listen to the mf v8dac if you can find one -a few available on ebay for about 500 - not heard much to touch it for the money - adds both a tube and solid state input - giving a really rich performance

i got my V8 Dac and V8 CDP brand new for £720 a little while ago and best money i have ever spent

A

Anonymous

matengawhat:
raym87 - honestly have a listen to the mf v8dac if you can find one -a few available on ebay for about 500 - not heard much to touch it for the money - adds both a tube and solid state input - giving a really rich performance

i got my V8 Dac and V8 CDP brand new for £720 a little while ago and best money i have ever spent

Thats a great deal....Theres one on auction now with a BIN of 500. No remote though so I wont be able to select volume......oh well.......

Dont think remotes are easy to come by........

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
volume would be controlled through your pre amp - the dacs just a dac in this case and not like the quad where works as pre amp aswell - the dac and cdp was a bargain so glad i bought it!

A

Anonymous

Interesting....looking at the manual on the MF website it appears to show that the dac is able to have its volume controlled by the remote....here

The vol buttons are highlited which to me appears to show the function is available.......glad you told me it wasnt.......

TRENDING THREADS