Sell kef kht 3005 se for monitor audio apex

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
i have the same system as you....i'm looking at upgrading aswell,but i will intrigrate rather than replace.

second hand prices for the 3005se's are around the £5-600 mark from what i have seen.

Jmknight93 said:
Is it worth selling me kef 3005se setup for monitor audio apex

I have a yamaha rx a1010

Hi Jmknight93

As good as the KHT300SE package is however all things being equal Apex sub/sat speakers offer even higher levels of performance. So yes, if you want to stay with sub/sat speakers then i feel with your Aventage RX-A1010 AV receiver you'll still gain a worthwhile benefit from the Apex sub/sat speakers performance.

Btw, Apex sub/sat speakers big performance potential will also accomodate even higher quality of amplification.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Rather than change the whole package, I'd look at improving the front three speakers, which will be producing the majority of what you hear. Many users have improved their system in this way, and some just buy 3005's to be used purely as rear speakers with larger front speakers from the Q or R ranges. You can move the front pair to the rear so you can take advantage of 7.1 (if you wish). Moving to something like the KEF R100 or R300 for the front pair with the R200c (or even R600c if you're feeling adventurous) will greatly improve upon the strengths of the UniQ drivers in the 3005's, giving far better music performance, greater detail, and much more convincing front soundstage.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Rather than change the whole package, I'd look at improving the front three speakers, which will be producing the majority of what you hear. Many users have improved their system in this way, and some just buy 3005's to be used purely as rear speakers with larger front speakers from the Q or R ranges. You can move the front pair to the rear so you can take advantage of 7.1 (if you wish). Moving to something like the KEF R100 or R300 for the front pair with the R200c (or even R600c if you're feeling adventurous) will greatly improve upon the strengths of the UniQ drivers in the 3005's, giving far better music performance, greater detail, and much more convincing front soundstage.

+1

I did the opposite recently. I went for KEF 8005 for the dedicated HT set up. I tried 3005 (non SE, before). No matter how technically advanced the "Style speakers" are, they have so little on the speaker volume. For fun I disconnected the Front L & R and connected that to a pair of Wharfedale D9.1 and it is a huge improvement.

So the point is, if you are looking for a real improvement, IMO, KEF R100 sized speaker is the minimum in the front stage. For surround duties, better to have the same size as base but even the smaller satellites do the job!

A

Anonymous

It's also worth trying out a more powerful receiver before changing your speakers. I have the Kef3005's and recently upgraded my amp from an onkyo 608 to an 709. What a difference. Audyssey MultiEQ XT set up has delivered a far superior performance from the sats. Speakers sound totally different now. More in unison with each other and musically better as well. Love the sound they now produce.

Not saying that bookshelfs aren't the better option but your amp also has a lot to say re overall performance.

Green Rob said:
It's also worth trying out a more powerful receiver before changing your speakers. I have the Kef3005's and recently upgraded my amp from an onkyo 608 to an 709. What a difference. Audyssey MultiEQ XT set up has delivered a far superior performance from the sats. Speakers sound totally different now. More in unison with each other and musically better as well. Love the sound they now produce.

Not saying that bookshelfs aren't the better option but your amp also has a lot to say re overall performance.

I think the Yamaha RX-A1010 is already bringing the best out of the the KEFs, a superior receiver won't help here.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Jmknight93 said:
Is it worth selling me kef 3005se setup for monitor audio apex

I have a yamaha rx a1010

I use to own the 3005SE in my previous set-up and changed to Apex last year and have not looked back since. Having owned so many speaker systems over the last 15 years (mid to high end) for a sub/sat I'm so impressed with Apex I know they'll stay with me for a long time. They do demand good processing and amplification to truly shine though. Lots of people seem to like Yamaha with Monitor Audio but if you switch to Apex be prepared to be bitten by the upgrade-bug!

A

Anonymous

bigboss said:
Green Rob said:

I think the Yamaha RX-A1010 is already bringing the best out of the the KEFs, a superior receiver won't help here.

Hmmm... Maybe. Seems to be a hell of a lot of bias re Yamaha amps on these forums. Don't get me wrong the A1010 is a fine amp but I chose the 709 over the A1010 and Denon 3312, both more expensive receivers. Preferred the clearer onk sound.

Anyhow, back on topic. Totally agree that the Apex are better speakers... All I was trying to suggest is that if you're not that happy with your own sound... Then before spending £2.5k on some new speakers, also look at what's powering your current setup. Liked my 3005se partnered with the 608. Totally love them now they are partnered with the 709. It's like owning a new better set of speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts