Second hand Project RPM5 or new Debut carbon?

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi folks, still deciding on a purchase, i can get this

Project RPM5 Turntable with Ortofon Alpha cartridge for about 250 pounds

or a new Project Debut Carbon with 3m cart for around the same money.

Which would you go for? The RPM5 has had little use and in spotless condition..

I seen the RPM5.2 gets a 5 star review here - is it much different than the RPM5?

Cheers,
Mick

John Duncan

I can't remember the differences between 5 and subsequent versions. Bearing and finish maybe? I seem to remember my 5,2 was more black than the original quite grey one.

Aesthetics aside though, I'd have the RPM over a Debut, even with the same arm that they put on the carbon. It's just a much better deck. The only thing I'd be cautious of is how dusty the RPM gets, if that worries you, and how *very* exposed the arm is hanging in free space - so if you have inquisitive pets or young children you may be better off with something with a lid...

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks John, the RPM5 comes with the acrylic dust over that sits down over it. Can you leave this on while playing or off? We have an open fireplace in the room it would be situated in and the tv stand etc does get coated in dust over time.. dust could be an issue.. the kids are getting older.. but it might be an issue. The RPM doesnt come with phono leads? I have some straight phono to phono cables at home somewhere so i assume they would do the job?

Cheers,
Mick

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
hi guys,

i know its short notice, but after some wheeling and dealing i've raised the cash to buy the RPM5

Going to check it out after work this evening.

Here's the thing - I'm not an expert on turntables so apart from it playing records and switching on/off and not having any motor while or obvious damage what should i look out for?

Thanks,
Mick

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi folks back with the rpm5 and all set up and working. Seller was a gentleman. Really looked after the tt. It's spotless with all packaging intact. He came down in price a little and I asked if he would throw in a record as I'd sold all mine last year. He gave me a mint copy of the Beatles rock and roll music. He also threw in some phono leads. It's got a cork mat fitted but also came with a felt one. He had never used the acrylic dust cover so it mint. Really happy with the purchase. Hopefully my wife doesn't throw me out tomorrow evening when she gets back with kids from mid term :)

TRENDING THREADS