Second hand amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm thinking about buying an amp from ebay - I currently am running my stuff through a Denon DM3 mini system, and wonder if a decent second hand amp is a better idea.

Available at the moment are a Creek 4040, a Marantz PM66SE KI signature, Harmon Kardon HK 6150 and various Arcams.

Any thoughts?

John Duncan

The 4040 was lovely in its day, but you can do better. Of those, I'd have the Marantz - it's unlikely that any of the Arcams in the same price bracket would beat it.

Note however that the DM3 really isn't that bad - depends on what the 'other stuff' is I suppose.

A

Anonymous

for me i dont think you can go wrong with a Pioneer A400 thats in good nick. usually under the £100 mark on ebay and very reliable and sounds sublime!

T

the record spot

Of those, the Marantz was very well rated in its' day, but Creek has a solid fanbase too. For me, the Marantz though. It preceeded my current PM6010-KI and if it's anything like this one, then you'll have a very solid, dynamic amp with a good clear sound. It might also have a phono stage and if so, it's likely to be a decent one.

If it's in good nick, you can probably buy with confidence. Check the BADA Marketplace or Mountain Snow for a range of deals of ex-dem and used gear that often come with a warranty too. See also www.exdem.co.uk which is another price trawler.

A

Anonymous

Depending on how you like your music I'd say the go with marantz or one of the many NADs available on ebay.

A

Anonymous

ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit:for me i dont think you can go wrong with a Pioneer A400 thats in good nick. usually under the £100 mark on ebay and very reliable and sounds sublime!

I thought of them the moment i saw PM66SE. Its a reflex reaction i guess. The A400 positively stormed the market. The pm66 was a marantz copy that couldn't take the crown. Oh, and i owned an A400, that might have something to do with it lol

The 66 is on ebay now, with 16 hours left, just £5. collection only from the international space station.

What do you listen to?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The PM66 is a lovely amplifier but there are also known reliability problems, not surprising given its age. If you have to buy a low price s/h amplifier I'd buy a Denon PM355UK. I use one on loan at the moment and we, for fun with no particular purpose, compared it recently to a new £750 amplifier. It did'nt disgrace itself.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for all the advice. My system at the moment is budget constrained to a degree. I have an audiophile's heart without the pocket, so currently use the Denon DM3, main source is my Mac, using QED J2P interconnects, then silver anniversary cables to Tannoy Mercury MX2s. Does that alter any advice?

A

Anonymous

carrieq:Thank you for all the advice. My system at the moment is budget constrained to a degree. I have an audiophile's heart without the pocket, so currently use the Denon DM3, main source is my Mac, using QED J2P interconnects, then silver anniversary cables to Tannoy Mercury MX2s. Does that alter any advice?

JVC A-X5! Don't ever turn one down...best integrated amp ever IMHO.

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone. Will stick with the Denon until I can save for something spectacular. Or until a JVC comes up on ebay!

A

Anonymous

The PM66KI is a lovely amp, not that much power, but produces a clear, open musical sound. If you can get one for e decent price, go for it. Another personal favourite of mine is the Denon PMA250se, also not that powerfull, even less than the Marantz, but incredibly musical. I heard it with some Mission Cyris 760's, and the sound was just wonderful, it brought a big smile to my face. There's currently a PMA250se on eBay, sitting there for just 18 quid with just a day to go.

John Duncan

carrieq:
Thanks everyone. Will stick with the Denon until I can save for something spectacular. Or until a JVC comes up on ebay!

I'd say that's a good call for the time being. You might consider some different speakers instead, but start with the advice given in your Mac thread and take it from there......

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Hughes123:carrieq:Thank you for all the advice. My system at the moment is budget constrained to a degree. I have an audiophile's heart without the pocket, so currently use the Denon DM3, main source is my Mac, using QED J2P interconnects, then silver anniversary cables to Tannoy Mercury MX2s. Does that alter any advice?

JVC A-X5! Don't ever turn one down...best integrated amp ever IMHO.

How come the JVC is not in your dream team then?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts