SATELLITE DISH

daveh75

If its that old probably not tbh. Given the age of it it will almost certainly have an analogue lnb fitted to it and is probably aligned to the old astra1 satellite as opposed to astra2 and eurobird that are used for both sky digital/hd and Freesat. So you have two options really,

1. If the old dish is in good nick(un-likely), would be to replace the old "analogue" lnb for a universal/digital lnb and re-align the dish.

2. Have a new dish/lnb installed

HTH

A

Anonymous

thanks for your help on ebay a meter/sat finder are about 10 pounds do they work

probably aligned to the old astra1 satellite as opposed to astra2 would i bave to point the dish in a different direction ie up or down or left or right thinking about Freesat

daveh75

garysnooker:

thanks for your help on ebay a meter/sat finder are about 10 pounds do they work

probably aligned to the old astra1 satellite as opposed to astra2 would i bave to point the dish in a different direction ie up or down or left or right thinking about Freesat

Swing it to the right 9o' (if your using the old dish and it's aligned to astra1),elevation should't need to be altered, although the dish will sag/drop a bit when you loosen the bolt's so need to take this into account.. But remember if you are using that old dish you will need to replace the LNB also as it will almost certainly be an analogue one, and if your intending to use the freesat Humax HDR you'll need a Twin LNB as it requires 2 feeds for full funtionality.

If your fitting a new dish(mini dish) then have a look around at neighbours dishe's to get an idea of general direction, or if you have a compass use that, astra 2 is at 28.2 East.

Those cheap sat finder's do work yes, but not with the greatest accuracy depending on what type it is.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
garysnooker:if i buy a new dish can i re-align the dish.myself

Gary, I bought a dish off ebay and put it up myself. Its not that difficult if you dont mind getting up a ladder. I pointed mine in roughly the same direction as my next door neighbour and then used the signal meter on my Freesat box to do the fine tuning.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
I disagree that its easy. Its very hard to get high signal quality. However, I had a large dish and this pulls in more satelittes thus making it more difficult than with a smaller dish.

That said, in the end I got aligned with 100% quality.

Full alignment instructions are in my post in this thread (7th post down):

http://whathifi.com/forums/t/169649.aspx

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Alsone:
I disagree that its easy. Its very hard to get high signal quality. However, I had a large dish and this pulls in more satelittes thus making it more difficult than with a smaller dish.

That said, in the end I got aligned with 100% quality.

Full alignment instructions are in my post in this thread (7th post down):

http://whathifi.com/forums/t/169649.aspx

Alsone, its certainly not easy! I said it wasnt that difficult, which to me is different
emotion-1.gif
I have about 85% quality, which hasnt caused me any problems on my freesat box. Although I am currently considering Sky HD so dont know if you need 100% for that?

A

Anonymous

I found it's more frustrating than anything else. Took a morning in a low signal area to get an 80% signal. This site was useful : http://www.ses-astra.com/consumer/en/how-to-receive-astra/installation-assistant/index.php

I used the signal indicators on my satellite box, a protractor and a compass, so it wasn't high-tech! The trick is those 1mm movements.

daveh75

85% quality is acceptable and Sky HD will work at these level's and you'd struggle to get much higher than that using a 48cm(zone1) mini-dish,but the higher it is the less likely you'll get picture break up/no sat signal except in the most extreme weather conditions. Yes with perceverance you can achieve good result's, but it is a PITA without a meter.

A

Anonymous

should i buy a meter/sat finder on ebay or go thorugh the freesat box

A

Anonymous

I used the freesatbox. Won't deny that you need patience, but otherwise you pay for something you'll only use once. Providing you follow the azimuth/degree settings closely (not forgetting to account for magnetic north) then its only a matter of patience.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
daveh75:

85% quality is acceptable and Sky HD will work at these level's and you'd struggle to get much higher than that using a 48cm(zone1) mini-dish,but the higher it is the less likely you'll get picture break up/no sat signal except in the most extreme weather conditions. Yes with perceverance you can achieve good result's, but it is a PITA without a meter.

I came through the recent heavy snowfall with no breakup or signal loss at all. In fact never dropped below 80% quality on any channel. Bigger dish and quality LNB were definately worth it if more expensive!

Getting 100% even on the large dish is difficult though and takes lot of alignment. It took me 1 1/2 days and I nearly threw in the towel.

TRENDING THREADS