Samsung screen reflections and TV recommendations?

Rhythmwiz

Jan 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi.

I'm hoping the lovely folks on this forum will be able to provide me with some information to help me choose what TV to buy.

Looking for a 46"-52" screen and would have preferred plasma (was going to buy a Kuro but almost wept when I saw how reflective the screen was and realised it wouldn't suit my living room). Panasonic PZ700 screen seemed considerably better but all reviews I've read of them suggest they have problems, and they certainly seem to struggle with red.

So seems I have to go LCD. Budget would be in the region of £1800-£2300, buying a Blu-Ray player but most viewing will be SD TV (from Sky+, though will probably go Sky HD in the future) and DVD. Seating distance is 9-10 feet and there are lamps in the room behind the seating area. Have pretty much decided on a Sony KDL-46X3500, but despite excellent reviews, including What Hi-Fi, a lot of people seem to have had issues with them. Very much interested in the Samsung F or M series but it seems current Samsungs have a shiny glass panel on the front - is this correct?

I know some of the info is available elsewhere on the forum but I haven't been able to find anything that answers my questions about screen reflections. So to sum up:

1. Are there any other models I should consider?

2. The Sony - are there any good reasons not to go for this; is there really any difference between the X3000 and the X3500 other than cosmetics (the Sony Centre salesperson told me the only difference was in the Freeview tuner), or should I go for the 52" W3000 for less money?

3. This is the point I'm most concerned about - is the Samsung LCD's screen very reflective? I was looking at my sister's Samsung plasma and was very aware of how clearly I could see lights or a PC monitor behind me reflected in the TV screen.

Sorry if I've duplicated any info from existing threads. If anyone can help answer my questions I would be extremely grateful and will buy you a pint should you ever be in my neck of the woods.

A

Anonymous

Hi.

I have the Smasung M86 and yes the screen is reflective but I only notice this when it is off *goes to sit in front of t.v to nake sure*, Yeah, the kids are watching Cartoon network and all I can see is that. However when it is off it does make a reasonable mirror. Its all about what its like when its on though so Samsung and reflection= not a problem, also (imho) I think that it is one of the best in its class. I am really fussy about my gear but I love the Samsung.

Hope this helps.

Phil.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Rhythmwiz"]
Hi.

So seems I have to go LCD. Budget would be in the region of £1800-£2300, buying a Blu-Ray player but most viewing will be SD TV (from Sky+, though will probably go Sky HD in the future) and DVD. Seating distance is 9-10 feet and there are lamps in the room behind the seating area. Have pretty much decided on a Sony KDL-46X3500, but despite excellent reviews, including What Hi-Fi, a lot of people seem to have had issues with them. Very much interested in the Samsung F or M series but it seems current Samsungs have a shiny glass panel on the front - is this correct?

1. Are there any other models I should consider?

2. The Sony - are there any good reasons not to go for this; is there really any difference between the X3000 and the X3500 other than cosmetics (the Sony Centre salesperson told me the only difference was in the Freeview tuner), or should I go for the 52" W3000 for less money?

3. This is the point I'm most concerned about - is the Samsung LCD's screen very reflective? I was looking at my sister's Samsung plasma and was very aware of how clearly I could see lights or a PC monitor behind me reflected in the TV screen.

[/quote]

I have just bought a Samsung 46" F86 and it is excellent. I was surprised at how good Freeview looked at 8ft. It isn't great like a 32" CRT, but isn't terrible either. Only got it Monday and last night was the first time I actually sat and watched it without messing. I was watching Pearl Harbor on BBC3 for the attack scene, I was very, pleased with the result! The lower bit-rate channels aren't so good, but then I hardly watch the things anyway.

The Sony has its problems just like any telly, go to the Samsung forums and I bet you would be put off buying a Samsung too. I took the plunge and am left wondering what all the fuss is about, perhaps I'll spot the problems later, or perhaps some people analyse their telly too much rather than watching it? There is no significant difference between the X3500 and X3000 and I was tempted by the W series Sony too. In then end the Samsung was cheaper by a large margin and the Sony is in no way worth the extra.

The Samsung LCD is VERY reflective on dark scenes, you really should not have a light source behind you. I have an up-lighter behind the telly, just like I did with my CRT. I suspect that you will have the same problem to varying degrees with any LCD/Plasma.

Rhythmwiz

Jan 23, 2008
Visit site
Thank you both for your replies. Unfortunately one of you suggests the reflections aren't a problem and the other says they are! I really like the Samsung, both in terms of price and styling, but I'm afraid that it would be unusable. Having the lights off all of the time isn't really an option because not everyone in the room is watching TV at the same time.

There's a PC in the room and if I sat in the wrong place with my 32" Panasonic CRT I could very clearly see the reflection of the monitor in the TV, likewise with the lamp, but with a bigger TV the chances would be so much higher of seeing it regardless of seating position. Not at all concerned about the reflection in any light scenes, but for dark scenes I worry that I would be very aware of it and that it would spoil my viewing.

How does the screen of the Samsung compare to a CRT? Is it similarly reflective? And in the knowledge that a lot of the time other light sources (i.e uplighter and PC) would have to be on in the room, would you say the Samsung would be unsuitable?

Thanks in advance for your help.

A

Anonymous

Although the LCD is more reflective when dark than the CRT, I don't think (other than increased size picking up more) it is much more reflective that it bugs me more. Sitting at an angle I can see the same light sources (fish tanks) that affected my CRT, they simply get switched off now like they did then.

I positioned the LCD where my CRT was because I sit straight on to it with no light source behind me. Sitting straight on with the standard living room ceiling light on, I get no problems, so it is fine. My TV is 90 degrees to the Window, so again, no reflection when sitting straight on.

Sitting straight on, I couldn't tolerate a light source behind me regardless of which screen type I used.

Basically without seeing your living room I have no idea what to suggest. My guess is that whichever large screen TV you get, you will still see the various light sources depending where you sit. I doubt that the Samsung being glossy will make much of a difference.

As a footnote, I actually prefer the Samsung screen.

Rhythmwiz

Jan 23, 2008
Visit site
Thanks again for your reply.

Thinking it over and doing more research on this and other forums, I think I have, grudgingly, to remove the Samsung from my shortlist - I don't think I could live with the reflections. I changed my Panasonic CRT for a 32" Hitachi LCD which has a matte screen, and I now don't think I could go back to something shiny. When I can I switch all of the lights off for a more cinematic experience, but when it's not possible the other light sources in the room do nothing more than create a lighter, very diffuse area (kinda like an anti-shadow :) ) on the screen that causes me little problem and is mostly not noticeable.

This leaves me with a choice of Sony - Sharp, Toshiba and Philips just don't seem to get the reviews the Sonys do. So would anyone (perhaps, I really hope, What Hi-Fi staff if they happen to have a moment, as they reviewed both recently and gave both 5 stars?) be able to give me some guidance as to whether the 52" W3000 or the 46" X3500/3000 is the better buy? Is the new X series Bravia really worth the extra money?

TRENDING THREADS