RX2 vs GS10

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am interested in stand mounted speakers to go with Cyrus 7/CD8 system. I have previously auditioned Monitor audio GR10s which I liked a lot but were too dear. I have an opportunity to get some second hand GS10s - are these better than the GR10s? Also how to they stack up against a pair of new RX2s.

Speakers will be firing across a 20x12 foot room and positioned fairly close to back wall. Any advice or good alternatives welcome.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
ear:gr10? do you mean rs1 silver range? The GR10 was the bookshelf in the old Gold Series line. It was replaced by the GS10...

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I have demo'd both the M/A RX2's and the GS10's very recently and thought they were both brilliant.

The GS10's I did hear with the Cyrus 8XP amp and with a Primare and the Cyrus CDP. I also heard the M/A RX2's with the NAD C326BEE and C355BEE amps and the NAD C545BEE and Rega Apollo CDP.

For my tastes in music (Electronica such as Fischerspooner, Massive Attack, Leftfield, Delphic etc... but I also listened to a lot of Dean Martion, Nat King Cold and the likes of Pink Floyd & Jethro Tull etc...) I found the GS10's to be very good indeed but their bass was a little flat compared to the RX2's but in saying that; the RX2's do have a larger bass driver!

Both have a very open and detailed soundstage with great midrange and crisp, clear treble BUT the GS10's DID sound a bit more forward with the Cyrus gear whereas the RX2's really shone IMO.

They were both on Atacama SE24 stands which were mass-loaded so if you do demo them (which I must encourage you to do so) make sure theyre on decent stands!

Gopi

Nov 19, 2007
Visit site
I was searching for a second hand RS6 but landed on a GS10 for the same cost. I have heard RS6 on multiple occasions while owned the GS10. I have listened to the RS1 as well, but not the new RX series. For me, the order of liking was RS6 > GS10 > RS1.

GS10 to RS1 - not much contest. I found that the GS10 gave out more details than RS1. GS10 is more neutral than the silver series. RS1 was comparitively just brighter and had less bass and details than GS10. On the other hand I found that RS6 though having less detail than GS10 was a more fun speaker. The extra bass got along with the rest of the spectrum well and was overall a more enjoyable sound for me.

Based on what I read about RX series and the big 8 inch drivers of RX2 I expect them to be closer to RS6 than RS1.

Not sure if my thoughts are helpful :)

A

Anonymous

• Thanks for helpful comments - I think I need to hear RX2s before wading in for GS10s.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
lemonghia:
  • Thanks for helpful comments - I think I need to hear RX2s before wading in for GS10s.

Deffo...

They do sound very good straight out of the box but when they're run in, say 100/150hours, theyre sublime!

I REALLY did like them more than the GS10's as I think the additional bass really works well with the overall soundstage

A

Anonymous

I think the gs10's are in a different league to the silvers. The soundstage from the golds is better imo and i thought they made the silvers sound slightly grainy in comparison. You would have to demo them i think as the presentation is different but in a direct comparison you can hear the extra resolution and clarity in the golds.

TRENDING THREADS