Russ Andrews Powermax mains cable

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
like i said i convinced myself it sounded better and i believe it was 30 days not 60 although saying that 30 days should be long enough but RA said a burn in peroid of 10 to 20 days is not unusual. it was only after a house move that i realised by changing the leads around that there was no difference and if you unplug them they need another burn in period, bit confusing that, this was from one of their old catalogues it was a long time ago but at least they do offer a money back guarantee. still £30.00 wasted though.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="gregory"]but RA said a burn in peroid of 10 to 20 days is not unusual[/quote]

... sure
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="remixes"]I notice once again nobody has answered my actual question!!! in your opinions (whether it works or not) would you go for 2 or 1 .... ?? I dont care what people think about whether it makes the sound better or not! the kettle joke & others are soooo not funny.[/quote] cant say much abt them cables as im on merlin tarantula but i tested both my cd (cambridge azur 640c) and my amp (rotel ra-04) seperately and i could hear the difference on both so i bought 2 so yes go and buy 2 if you can hear the difference and dont buy any if you cant. They are your ears treat them well. Enjoy

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="BlueMax"]Is it RA who invented ' directionality' in cables?
Or was he only promoting it ?[/quote]

Does that have anything to do with the OP's question, or are you just blowing smoke signals again?
[/quote]To answer the OPs question about buying 1 or 2, I would say it all depends!

If RA actually invented 'directionality' he is a genius and therefore well worth purchasing 2 of his cables; may by 1 more for the kettle (to boil water as another poster hinted). But on the other hand if RA is only promoting 'directionality', then purchase only 1 .

The most important thing, as a pre-requisite, however, is to read the RA catalogue thoroughly, so that you well and truly believe everything he says. Once that state of mind is reached, why would an audiophool want to even consider getting a refund?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
You still here?

In case anyone is stirred by your baiting, i'll refer them to this other, related thread, especially the excerpt from a trade-mag article I wrote urging the industry to use more realistic language.

Maybe it'll also enlighten them as to your petty agenda, which sadly meant we had to lock an otherwise lively discussion.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Aren't mains cables always directional? I mean there's a 13A plug on one end that goes into the wall, and an IEC connector on the other that fits into the piece of equipment. You'd have a bit of a struggle to use them the other way round...

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="BlueMax"]Once that state of mind is reached, why would an audiophool want to even consider getting a refund?[/quote]

This rhetoric is very familiar ??

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="BlueMax"]To answer the OPs question about buying 1 or 2, I would say it all depends! If RA actually invented 'directionality' he is a genius and therefore well worth purchasing 2 of his cables; may by 1 more for the kettle (to boil water as another poster hinted). But on the other hand if RA is only promoting 'directionality', then purchase only 1 . The most important thing, as a pre-requisite, however, is to read the RA catalogue thoroughly, so that you well and truly believe everything he says. Once that state of mind is reached, why would an audiophool want to even consider getting a refund?[/quote]

I too am suspicious when it comes to some of the HiFi 'accessories' of the kind promoted by the company in question and others. Just my opinion based on a a few things that I've heard (or not more accurately).

But there are people, misguided or not, that seem to believe they do work and perhaps some do, what do I know, I have'nt heard them all. The one thing you can't argue with though is a refund if you happen to not like what you bought. Can't be fairer than that Blue Max.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Anton90125"]This rhetoric is very familiar ?? [/quote]

They all talk like that inside their tent.

But having given the place a few cursory glances, I'd love to know how the site owners and moderators have got themselves a dispensation that says they're not subject to the laws of libel and defamation by which we professional journalists have to abide.

A

Anonymous

Aren't mains cables always directional? I mean there's a 13A plug on one end that goes into the wall, and an IEC connector on the other that fits into the piece of equipment. You'd have a bit of a struggle to use them the other way round...
[/quote] I like that. Though some donkey might try it, they would think its the new way to blind test em.

A

Anonymous

I bought a Russ Andrews block and cables, tried them out, they made a difference, didn't like the difference, sent them back and got my money back.

How hard is that? :)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Anton90125"]This rhetoric is very familiar ?? [/quote]

They all talk like that inside their tent.

But having given the place a few cursory glances, I'd love to know how the site owners and moderators have got themselves a dispensation that says they're not subject to the laws of libel and defamation by which we professional journalists have to abide.

[/quote]

Isn't it like when you write to a newspaper, you know, the stuff about "the views posted here are not necessarily the views of the paper" type of thing?

Anyway, great forum, keep it up. I'm so glad you run it so well.

Regards Ed.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Eddy Current"]Isn't it like when you write to a newspaper, you know, the stuff about "the views posted here are not necessarily the views of the paper" type of thing?[/quote]

It's a legal grey area, as far as I recall from my last law course - one of those things we have to do on a regular basis.

Not at all sure how valid those disclaimers would be if challenged by someone who felt they had been libelled or subjected to defamatory comments on a moderated forum.

[quote user="Eddy Current"]Anyway, great forum, keep it up. I'm so glad you run it so well.[/quote]

I so wish I didn't think you had your tongue firmly in your cheek, in the light of some of your past comments.

A

Anonymous

I do take some issues WHF and have done so for many years. Articles by Mr. Andrew Everard have been of interest and use to me and have held him in high regard. Can't say the same thing about RA. Though his catalogues make an amusing read, before getting put away for re-cycling. My problem is with the audiophoolery by the likes of RA and my posts are fundamentally about that.

So I am saddened by Mr Andrew Everard claiming that my thread elsewhere was deeply insulting with regard to this magazine and members of its staff. I don't really have a clue what he is referring to. May be a PM to clarify?!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts