Run in for speakers!

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
I have a pair of Motive 2's, are they generally know for a long 'settling down time'? how many hours roughly? will he excitable treble calm down eventually?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
gbhsi1:I have a pair of Motive 2's, are they generally know for a long 'settling down time'? how many hours roughly? will he excitable treble calm down eventually?

All of the Neat Motive range have a bright treble I gather. Not heard them actually so can't comment but that's what the reviews say. Given you're obviously not happy would it be better to cut your losses and trade them in for something else?

A

Anonymous

Still suffering that treble gbhsi1? Have you tried any different kit layouts or components?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
I have been thinking about that a lot, I hate losing money this way. But I might have to go down this route. What do your speakers sound like? HF frequencies ise

The thing is I love everything else the speakers are able to do- the timing is fantastic & bass tight...I just want a refined treble too...or am I asking for too much?...maybe a new cable will calm things down? I just don't know what to do anymore! driving me nuts...!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I'm not sure a cable will tame it to such a degree, it may help but it sounds as if fundamentally you don't like the treble.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
gbhsi 1,maybe put your gear in your sig (include speaker cables and interconnects) to give folks an idea of what kind of system synergy you have, or dont have !. Ive forgotten if you still have the kandy/rega rega/rega or changed kit totaly.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

gbhsi1:What do your speakers sound like? HF frequencies ise
Well, I used to suffer from bright treble with MA RS1s in a reflective room. I waited some time and solved it with new kit. The move to Spendor speakers solved 90% of it, making the treble smooth yet more extended. The change of amp to the pre/power I have solved the last little bit. The AVI preamp has resulted in any harshness disappearing, unless it's on the recording.

As I've said before, tweaks to reduce harshness that have worked for me are:

1) Fire the speakers straight out rather than toeing in
2) Keep them away from reflective surfaces, e.g. side walls, etc
3) Use thick copper speaker cable and avoid silver content anywhere
4) Lay a thick rug in front of the speakers, either one in the middle or one each side
5) Get your speaker spikes level to ensure good bass, helping to give better balance. I did this with my stands on the patio and spent a lot of time making sure they were perfectly level.

A

Anonymous

A rug can help reduce reflections in a room, especially useful for those of us with wooden or laminate flooring. Even on carpet, a really woolly rug could help. On a similar theme, does it sound better if you draw any blinds/curtains?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
I remembered your system pic gbh, its a tad bleached out but is that a helluva big window behind your kit ? And if so are there windows on the opposite wall the speakers are firing towards ?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:A rug can help reduce reflections in a room, especially useful for those of us with wooden or laminate flooring. Even on carpet, a really woolly rug could help. On a similar theme, does it sound better if you draw any blinds/curtains?

Beat me to it on the curtains iggy,nice one .

A

Anonymous

I had a bright sound on my CA/Mezzo 2 combination. Changed the silver interconnect for an Atlas Mk2, really helped to take the edge off it, along with QED SA XT. Sounds really sweet now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts