RP6 and PM6004 phono stage

Jonesiani

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Simple question really.

would the phono stage on my PM6004 be up to the job of being used with a Rega RP6? Or is a separate phono stage ideal?

Thanks!

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
its not the deck that matters in this case, but the cartridge you will be using. The RP6 is capable of carrying some fab carts, that more than warrent a separate stage. So what cart will you be starting with.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
respe said:
its not the deck that matters in this case, but the cartridge you will be using. The RP6 is capable of carrying some fab carts, that more than warrent a separate stage.

I agree and disagree. The deck does matter - the RP6 I have in my system is revealing a phenomenal amount of micro-detail previously unheard, and thus in itself warrants a top phono stage (which I have). Also, though, you're right that it can carry some super cartridges. I'm using a Dynavector DV20X2-L which I don't believe is OTT.

As to whether the PM6004 stage is good enough, I've not heard it but my instinct would be to say 'not quite'. Try borrowing the new Rega Fono from a dealer and see if it makes a difference.

Paul@HiFi-Lounge

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I guess it comes down to how analytical you want to get, I'm sure that the Marantz will do an OK job and it will probbaly sound really nice, but I can't help feeling that adding at least a Rega Fono MM will add greatly to the presentation of the deck, the RP6 really is a great performer and I just don't think you will be maximising that with a built in phono stage of the Marantz, out of curiousity what cartridge will you be using, are you going with the Rega Exact?

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
That deck would deserve a better phono stage than what the Marantz can offer, however it will work and depending on what cartridge you will be using i'm sure you will enjoy it, but what is your budget and have you listened to the deck with your set up and or other components, a Dynavector phono stage is glorious with their cartridges.

TRENDING THREADS