Router Location - Coverage

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
I would like to have my router in a room where there is no phone line. Ideally because the wireless range of the router will then be sufficient to cover the whole house. What could I do to achieve this? Would I need to run a phone line to the room where I want the router?

Matt

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
or you could buy a wireless range extender - DLink make one but i can't remember the model number right now. Or if your current router is only 'G', try upgrading to 'N'

Others on here may be able to help more

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
davejberry:

or you could buy a wireless range extender - DLink make one but i can't remember the model number right now. Or if your current router is only 'G', try upgrading to 'N'

Others on here may be able to help more

Could you explain how one of these work please. Do you plug it into your router or away from the router to extend the coverage? Also I wouldn't have any problems with my wireless devices talking to each other once this is installed would I? IP addresses etc stay the same from the router I presume.

I use my iPod Touch to control Spotify and my Squeezebox Receiver and its the Touch which I would like to take places which is currently out of reach for my existing router position.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
An extender will link wirelessly to your router and give you coverage where you currently have none,so you put the extender within wireless range of the router but closer to the dead spots. An N router would be probably better unless you live in Buck Palace or have lead walls..(eg Netgear DGN2000 which can be had for less than £70)-clicky

A

Anonymous

Ravey Gravey Davy:

An extender will link wirelessly to your router and give you coverage where you currently have none,so you put the extender within wireless range of the router but closer to the dead spots. An N router would be probably better unless you live in Buck Palace or have lead walls..(eg Netgear DGN2000 which can be had for less than £70)-clicky

Out of interest -

If I went the wireless N method and connected my N laptop, would my older wireless G equipment be able to connect - albeit at a slower rate.

In other words is N backwards compatable to G ?

Cheers all.

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
soulton:Ravey Gravey Davy:

Out of interest -

If I went the wireless N method and connected my N laptop, would my older wireless G equipment be able to connect - albeit at a slower rate.

In other words is N backwards compatable to G ?

Cheers all.

Yes your G equipment will connect albeit at G speeds.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Zarn_Smith:The only disadvantage with this method is that, in effect, you halve your wireless speed. (always swings and roundabouts).

How so?

A

Anonymous

Any wireless n router will have more than enough range for your house - if not half your street!

Even Wireless N is slow though (around 90Mbps in real life) and only runs at the speed of the slowest device on the network. If a G device connects to ur network the network speed will drop to less than 54Mbps, and if a B device connects it will drop to 11Mbps.

U might want to consider getting some AV powerline home plugs - to extend ur network using ur existing mains supply.

I setup a network for my mother - with 2x 1Gb powerline adaptors. One plugs into the router in the bedroom and the other one into a gigabit hub in the livingroom, allowing devices in the living room to connect to the network without another phone line.

As long as u get the AV (200Mbps) or AV2(1Gbps) spec they work really well - more than fast enough to stream blu-ray quality over a network. And so easy to setup a trained monkey could do it.

About £70 for a pair of 1Gbps plugs. DO NOT get the 14Mbps or 85Mbps ones !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts