admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a shortlist of 2 or 3 amps Im going to audition in the near future and the Rotel range is one I quite fancy actually. Now that Im going down the DAC and streaming option with the MA RS6s is there any amp in particular that would suit best in the £500-£700 range?

Of the Rotels could someone summarise the key differences between the RA-06, RB/RC-06 combo and RA-1520. All 3 are options Id like to know a little more about and being clueless in this stuff I dont know how well the Rotel at the £500 end would hold up against its big brother at the £700 end considering how I would be using them.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

I used to have the RA03 (basically the same amp as the RA06 and RB/RC-06) with a pair of MA RS1 speakers. I found the system a bit on the bright side, not as bad as some but still a bit glaring at times.

This is going to come back to personal tastes but I would highly recommend trying the Arcam A28 or A38 with the RS6. This is purely on the basis that older Arcam amps sounded nice with the MA RS series and so I presume (eek) that the new work well too. The only area to be careful is the bass, it might get a bit carried away.

It's always interesting to see what sort of impact kit has on people in the long term. I flogged my MA RS1s and wasn't fussed at all. I couldn't bear to sell my Rotel amp when I upgraded so I gave it to my dad. Superb amps that just get on with the music. They're not especially neutral but boy, they entertain. Gutsy, rhythmic, punchy and natural. Biggest weaknesses? The midrange isn't the most transparent.

A

Anonymous

Arcam did spring to mind but they were generally a bit out of my budget though there are always A75s and A85s second hand kicking about at good prices. have you any idea how they hold up in these "modern" times?

A

Anonymous

Very respectable amps indeed. Partnered with a lively pair of speakers and good source you'll get a smooth, detailed sound.

Have you considered the Rotel amp with different speakers?

A

Anonymous

I like the speakers! Plus the potential hassle of selling and budget constraints puts me off that route.

I guess Im just finding things a little overwhelming! I know what I want from a system but there are so many options! If it isnt amps, its dac or cd player with good dac. Then there are the wireless options Im looking for!

Id be happy to buy a second hand bargain on hear say but would obviously look to audition the more expensive budget eaters (RA-1520 for example). I would even be tempted with an Azur 740 amp and cd set up if I could score a bargain from Richer Sounds (would solve the dac option too). I like what Ive read about the Rotels though (and in relation to performance with the RS6s).

A

Anonymous

The Dacmagic was def on the agenda. I was persuaded earlier in the week that perhaps the best route was to ditch the cd player and pump the spare cash into the amp. Using mostly digital sources (though I do have a heap of cds) I thought that was excellent advice. With the 740/840c's having the same dacs I was beginning to sway again!!!

Whats the differences between V1 and V2? Ive still never been into a Richer Sounds either! Do most of the stores hold the 740/840s? Bit of a random question that! But Im stuck between Glasgow and Edinburgh and online gives the impression that stock levels are low on these lines.

A

Anonymous

I think you need to order and then trial. Give them a bell and see if they'll let you do this. I'm not sure of the differences but the V1 is still excellent for the cash. The 840 CDP is very good indeed and doubles as a DAC a league above the DAC Magic.

EDIT Have a look at this thread.

A

Anonymous

Cheers much for the advice. With the prices involved Id be quite happy to go with the corresponding cd player seeing as it doubles as a good DAC. Would the 740c match ok with the 840a? Only asking in order to save a few more pennies.

A

Anonymous

J0n35y:Would the 740c match ok with the 840a?

...no idea I'm afraid. I've heard very good things about the 840 CD but not for the 740 CD. I've not heard the 740, sorry. I have heard that the 740 is brighter than the DAC Magic. I'm really scraping the barrel of repeating other's statements now.

A

Anonymous

Haha cheers anyway, been very helpful. Ive heard mostly positive things about the 840/740a with the RS6s so will need to give them a call tomo morning I think. Hopefully Glasgow or Edinburgh will have one handy for me to have a nose about!

T

the record spot

You might want to have a look at the Rotel RX-1603 receiver that's on Ebay just now; massive piece of kit. 33kgs and 180wpc - might be decent but I think it'll go for good money.

A

Anonymous

of the older gear, I researched and shortlisted a few as I was looking at upgrading my amp

Marantz 1200

Sansui AU-D11 or AU-9900

Pioneer SA-9800

Yamaha CA-1010 or CA-2010

Technics SU-8600

Kenwood KA-907 or KA-9100

Sony TA-F7

Marantz PM 7200

or one of the better Luxman amps

eventually bought a Pioneer SA-9800 (for £275) ... bought earlier this week (will collect next week)

so, many bargains around for the older gear .... Good luck!

A

Anonymous

Excellent stuff. Great help. I'll have a snoop around for second hand gear and will hopefully get something sorted soon.

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

Richer Sounds had almost zero graded CA gear in the warehouse or north of the border so that route is coming to a dead end. Will check out ebay for all the tips and see how I get on.

I could even be tamped by a CA 650a/c combo with the dacmagic but I reckon the combo probably wouldnt do the RS6s justice. Any thoughts?

Ive heard good things about the Rotels though (going back to original post) and thats def still in the equation. I wouldve been temped with the Creek Evo but, and I know this will enrage some, I personally prefer having tone controls!

A

Anonymous

Is there nowhere that you can demo your intended set up?

You could look at a second hand Roksan Kandy K2, but people seem to be split on whether or not this is a good match, I've never heard it myself, but I'd expect it to be punchy and on the bright side of things, but not much different to the other combinations listed here, I shouldn't think.

But the Rotel RA-06 with the MAs should be quite good, you won't be letting down the speakers too much and it provides a great upgrade for the future, whether you add an RB-06 or sell the '06 and go for something really good. But if you're spending that kind of cash, really just go and listen, I'd expect your MA dealer will have something in the 500-700 range, even if they are a bit biased, it's much better to listen to them than have people tell you what's good.

A

Anonymous

I was always intending to audition the amps but was looking to get as much info as pos. Will be looking to get in touch with the MA dealers with me, cheers for the tip.

I like what Ive read about the Kandy K2, still dunno if I can ditch the tone controls though! The Creek Evo 2 was in the same boat and I ended up dismissing it (maybe a little prematurely!).

A

Anonymous

Yeh, I thought I'd mention it just in case, have you had a look at the MA RX6s, or are you getting a special price on old stock?

And what's the deal with tone controls? Are you endlessly fiddling (my friend's the type) or just trying to get the best from each song/album/genre every in session? If it's the former then you might do well by getting an office toy to distract yourself (I find clicking Parker pens a cheaper alternative) and getting an amp without tone control. Either that or air guitar/drums/lead violin.

A

Anonymous

I already have the RS6s! I got a great deal on them last summer when Sevenoaks in Edinburgh shut down. I was thinking more "bargain!" than how they would (or wouldnt really) work with the Fatman Carbon amp I already had. Now with an iPhone the amp has to go hence the long overdue upgrade to an system that will hopefully compliment the speakers and improve my listening.

Oh I dunno. Im not a compulsive fiddler I just like the occasional twiddle with the knobs (oooer!). As it'll be the only system in the house (with the exception of the Zeppelin in the kitchen) Id like the flexibility to change things when in party mode and when in chilled solo listening mode. In the past Ive always found I prefer to up the bass just a few notches but I concede thats most likely due to mince amps/gear than anything else.

Air violin?! Thats a new one! I prefer air synth on the footstool!!!

A

Anonymous

I agree with chris as regards the tone controls etc ... my current amp is a pioneer a400 ... all it has is a volume control and nothing else

just bought a pioneer SA-9800 ... collect it later during the week ... loads of controls ...

suppose it will have it's merits ... if the cables/interconnects/cdp or speakers are too bright or too warm etc, controls can be set to compensate, thus saving on splashing out cash for different cables etc ...

suppose the way to do it is to listen to 1 track that you know very well and that encompasses loads of different rythms/sounds/ etc... adjust the controls to your liking for the system and leave it at that for always, irrespective of what cd/music you listen to

thats what I am planning to do anyway (hope so!) ... if not, will just leave them all set at 0 / neutral and hope I dont jump up to 'fiddle' everytime a different track is played

A

Anonymous

I do agree to an extent. My experience with the iTube Carbon and the RS6s was that I had to up the bass by 4/5 remote button pushes and the treble 1/2 times (it always reset the settings when off). I did love the warm valve sound though even as a novice and without other amps immediately available I could get the sense that they werent powering the speakers properly.

I should note that Im fairly likely to pump my tv through the stereo amp as my Samsung doesnt have the best sound. Its not an ideal set up but it is one that is likely to need some sort of adjustment in the tone controls from the music. I'll make sure I have something else to fiddle with to prevent over the top mucking about if I go down an amp with tone control route!

A

Anonymous

That's the thing with Samsungs generally, not the best on sound. You have to decide for yourself, maybe if you get an amp with knobs on you can find something you like, but I'd prefer to have an amp that I think is best for what I do most, easy listening, that's why I bought my system. I'd prefer a master instead of a jack of all trades.

You're paying the money, I'm just saying that it's best to include everything and go for the amp that you like the most regardless of bells and whistles, hopefully music at a dinner party is too quiet for people no notice minor tonal imperfections anyway. And if you've got Sade or Simply Red on as one does at these things, who cares? But only you know what system you really need, so I'm not going to try to disuade you from anything. I daresay that something on the bright side, as all these combinations seem to be heading, lends itself well to a stereo system for AV too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts