ROTEL 1582 MkII Power Amp

TB303

May 26, 2008
Visit site
I assume you refer to the recently released MkII version?

I too would be interetsed to learn about real life experiences with it.

How about a WHF review anyone...?

dsuciato

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
TB303 said:
I assume you refer to the recently released MkII version?

I too would be interetsed to learn about real life experiences with it.

How about a WHF review anyone...?

Yup, the MkII version. No review yet, searched the web already.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Got to admit it's quite difficult trying to find user info on Rotel gear.

I quite like their flexibility with their multichannel amps, like the rkb-D8100 with optical inputs for each channel.

With the recent debates on multi zone Sonos setups, these would be perfect... Giving me ideas for my next house...

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the Proac Studio 140 MK2 too match with the Rotel 1582 power amp and the 1580 pre amp an excellent combination : powerfull ,

detailed and natural sound . Didn't hear the new version MK2 but I am sure it's good as the old version or maybe even better .

Leehallam

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the 1552 mk11 it is a great power amp, and Audiolab Mdac as the Pre-Amp with some B&W 685s in my bar room.

Well defined, natural sound with pleanty of poke.

Lee

nelio

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi. I am currently thinking about getting ROTEL amplification. I have recently listened to the combo RC-1580 preamp + RB-1582 power amp (200W per channel) and it sounded great for an intense rock music listener. It's warm, it has the enough amount of detail, great control, dynamics, depth and timing. I find it very natural and musical. I listened to bands like Nothing, Rage Against The Machine, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Rollins Band, The Black Keys, Mercury Rev, Vista Chino or Killing Joke. All sounded great. Even in your face guitar sound was presented perfectly without any harshness or discomfort. Dynamic, but civilised and warm.

There is the possibility of getting the new models: RC-1570 preamp + RB1582 MKII power amp. As I do not have the chance to audition them, anyone knows if there are (listenable and significant) differences between these new models and the previous ones (RC-1580 preamp + RB-1582 power amp)?

Thanks.

nelio

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
nelio said:
Hi. I am currently thinking about getting ROTEL amplification. I have recently listened to the combo RC-1580 preamp + RB-1582 power amp (200W per channel) and it sounded great for an intense rock music listener. It's warm, it has the enough amount of detail, great control, dynamics, depth and timing. I find it very natural and musical. I listened to bands like Nothing, Rage Against The Machine, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Rollins Band, The Black Keys, Mercury Rev, Vista Chino or Killing Joke. All sounded great. Even in your face guitar sound was presented perfectly without any harshness or discomfort. Dynamic, but civilised and warm.

There is the possibility of getting the new models: RC-1570 preamp + RB1582 MKII power amp. As I do not have the chance to audition them, anyone knows if there are (listenable and significant) differences between these new models and the previous ones (RC-1580 preamp + RB-1582 power amp)?

Thanks.

nelio

As far as I know the RC-1580 is still on sale and you don't have to compromise for the RC-1570 . The 1580 should be better in sound quality

terms . however If you need digital inputs you should buy the 1570 becuase the 1580 is absolutely analog .

nelio

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I managed to audition RC-1580 preamp + RB-1582 power amp and I was so well and immediately impressed that I decided to go for the new RC-1570 preamp + RB1582 MKII power amp.

After two weeks listening to ROTEL RC-1570 / RB1582 amps at home, I can say they sound natural, warm, very controlled, smooth, detailed, but not too detailed, and with this great bass. The bass is powerful, deep, articulated and well controlled. I love it. The 200 Watts make a huge difference as you feel the power driving the speakers and the music. It is also quick and has good timing (swing and forward motion) and dynamics. It makes you want to listen to music. It sounds perfect to me. Sometimes I think that it may too perfect to be true... And they look great, specially the power amp (I bought it in silver and the preamp in black, so the power amp could be the shinning star in my audio system, which is dominated by black colour).

Depending on the music you listen to and your personal audio listening tastes, you may use a less revealing (less sophisticated) speaker or more revealing (more sophisticated) speaker. As I am a bass oriented listener, a cheaper speaker with a good and generous bass response tends to be more satisfying for all kinds of music I listen to.

As I listen to intense rock music (including metal, industrial, sludge, drone, etc.) along other types of music like world music, rock-folk songwriters or exploratory electronic music, and I like the mids and highs to be laid back and not too detailed/refined/bright, I prefer having those ROTEL amps playing with my old Monitor Audio Silver RS6 than with the much better speaker that is Monitor Audio Silver RX8.

For some old metal CDs like Pantera's "Reinventing the Steel" or Crowbar's "Equilibrium" the RX8 was too detailed/open/clear/bright in the treble (mids and highs) and then it got too tiring as one's brain had to process a lot of treble information. In my personal way of perceiving sound.

The ROTEL amps paired with the RS6 give NOT a better sound in the audiophile way, but a more comfortable, warm and musical sound. It makes me listen to more music and to all my CDs, including the ones with less sound quality from the 1990's. I prefer listening to all my music collection and sacrifice some higher quality audio equipment. Music comes first. That's the goal. The bass was much better in the RX8, oh yes, but one can not have everything... You have to make your options. The overall result is the most important part.

It is amazing the difference in quality between the old Silver RS6 and the new Silver RX8, which is much more audiophile. However, for intense rock music, less speaker sound quality may be better. For me bass can be audiophile, but not mids and highs if these are too revealing (harsh, crisp, bright, prominent). I prefer downgrading the speakers than the amplification, because I like to have a powerful amp with reasonable good quality. If you downgrade here, it is difficult to find an amp with a certain kind of power.

These are my first experiences and impressions with ROTEL RC-1570 / RB1582 amps.

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
We have the original RB1582 driving KEF LS50s at our store and they sound incredible connected to it. Haven't yet ranged the RB1582 MKII though.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
nelio said:
I managed to audition RC-1580 preamp + RB-1582 power amp and I was so well and immediately impressed that I decided to go for the new RC-1570 preamp + RB1582 MKII power amp.

After two weeks listening to ROTEL RC-1570 / RB1582 amps at home, I can say they sound natural, warm, very controlled, smooth, detailed, but not too detailed, and with this great bass. The bass is powerful, deep, articulated and well controlled. I love it. The 200 Watts make a huge difference as you feel the power driving the speakers and the music. It is also quick and has good timing (swing and forward motion) and dynamics. It makes you want to listen to music. It sounds perfect to me. Sometimes I think that it may too perfect to be true... And they look great, specially the power amp (I bought it in silver and the preamp in black, so the power amp could be the shinning star in my audio system, which is dominated by black colour).

Depending on the music you listen to and your personal audio listening tastes, you may use a less revealing (less sophisticated) speaker or more revealing (more sophisticated) speaker. As I am a bass oriented listener, a cheaper speaker with a good and generous bass response tends to be more satisfying for all kinds of music I listen to.

As I listen to intense rock music (including metal, industrial, sludge, drone, etc.) along other types of music like world music, rock-folk songwriters or exploratory electronic music, and I like the mids and highs to be laid back and not too detailed/refined/bright, I prefer having those ROTEL amps playing with my old Monitor Audio Silver RS6 than with the much better speaker that is Monitor Audio Silver RX8.

For some old metal CDs like Pantera's "Reinventing the Steel" or Crowbar's "Equilibrium" the RX8 was too detailed/open/clear/bright in the treble (mids and highs) and then it got too tiring as one's brain had to process a lot of treble information. In my personal way of perceiving sound.

The ROTEL amps paired with the RS6 give NOT a better sound in the audiophile way, but a more comfortable, warm and musical sound. It makes me listen to more music and to all my CDs, including the ones with less sound quality from the 1990's. I prefer listening to all my music collection and sacrifice some higher quality audio equipment. Music comes first. That's the goal. The bass was much better in the RX8, oh yes, but one can not have everything... You have to make your options. The overall result is the most important part.

It is amazing the difference in quality between the old Silver RS6 and the new Silver RX8, which is much more audiophile. However, for intense rock music, less speaker sound quality may be better. For me bass can be audiophile, but not mids and highs if these are too revealing (harsh, crisp, bright, prominent). I prefer downgrading the speakers than the amplification, because I like to have a powerful amp with reasonable good quality. If you downgrade here, it is difficult to find an amp with a certain kind of power.

These are my first experiences and impressions with ROTEL RC-1570 / RB1582 amps.

Good choice !

I own the old 1580/1582 combinationand I am glad you ilke the Rotel's
smiley-wink.gif
However I don't agree with you regarding the downgrade of speakers , If you really want to hear what the Rotel pre/power combinaton can do connect them to a pair of Proac , PMC , Spendor act. speakers and than you'll see how powerful , detailed and natural are they :boohoo:

highfidelity

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Rotel 1582 MK 2 is a excellent amplifier apart from the problem of the input sensitivity which should be 1 volt not an absurd 2 volts which makes it incompatible with most other pre-amps.

hukkfinn

May 3, 2009
Visit site
I wonder what on earth or in heaven user "highfidelity" might be talking about when he calls the Rotel's input sensitivity of 2 volts "absurd" when as we all know, 2V is a totally benign, standard, middle-of-the-road, "nothing-to-see-here" input sensitivity for a power amplifier, with many, MANY highly esteemed power amplifiers coming in at significantly higher figures than 2V. The notion that it "should be 1V" is somewhat comical, but more importantly, misinformation that requires correction. The notion that a completely standard figure like 2V would render the Rotel incompatible with any preamp is simply nonsense.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts