Ripping the audio from a music DVD to my Mac

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Is it possible to rip just the music from a music DVD rather than the video too so I can import it into iTunes? I want to be able to listen in the car :)

If you can help thank you in advance.

x

John Duncan

Hm, could tell you how to do it in Windows, but haven't tried it on my Mac.

I suspect what you need to do is use Garageband to record the Mac's audio out, thus creating a 44.1k WAV file which you can then compress (or not) as required. Let me investigate.

(Disclaimer: this is illegal and you are a very naughty boy)

A

Anonymous

Thanks JD, I'm not intending to share my music across the internet - just want to be a lazy a**hole.

*Slaps wrist*

John Duncan

Dur, answer staring me in face. You can extract only the audio from a DVD using MacTheRipper, though it comes in a file format that you'll probably need to convert using something else (google is your friend).

Or you can record it in real time using Audacity (which might be quicker, frankly), or perhaps Garageband, though I haven't tried that.

But you are still a very naugh'y boy.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Check out Mpeg Streamclip free software....

http://www.squared5.com/

I used this for extracting audio only from DVD-R disks.

(I had recorded BBC R3 radio plays in audio only to Nicam VHS years ago. I copied the VHS to DVD-R and then used MPEg Streamclip software on my iMac to demux the audio files to AIFF enabling me to import them to iTunes.)

A

Anonymous

Woop - I've gone down the Audacity route, just waiting on it downloading. Incompetence is always the best answer for being naughty =D

Or denial...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Or you can rip using MacTheRipper / Handbrake etc., open in Quicktime Pro (assuming you have this) and then just choose File > Export and say to Export Sound to Wave. Once you have the WAV, you can then convert that to any format you like. In Handbrake, you can also just choose the Chapters you want to export so if you only want certain songs, this will speed it up a bit.
I use this method to export little clips of dialogue from films, convert them to MP3 and then have them as a message tone on my phone to provide hours of amusement for myself and my friends...
emotion-42.gif

A

Anonymous

Actually my halls internet sucks, will try Mpeg Streamclip because of the small file size. Thanks all.

A

Anonymous

Update - used MacTheRipper to extract the data off the DVD. Now to convert it to WAV... I purchased QuickTime Pro (literally two minutes ago) and for some strange reason it will not let me export as sound. It only gives me the options to export as a movie.

Have I got a setting wrong?

A

Anonymous

Do I need to spend an extra 15 quid to get the Quicktime MPEG-2 Playback component?

Thanks again all

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
What format does MacTheRipper export to? I have to admit I use Handbrake and export to MP4 format (never used MacTheRipper, but I know everyone raves about it) and have no issues. If you're still getting issues, I'll do a walk through tomorrow.

A

Anonymous

It's .VOB (which I believe is the same as it would be on the disk?)

I'll try Handbrake tomorrow, I think the problem lies in that QuickTime Pro doesn't want to open the VOB file.

The walk through would be excellent, I have a Windows PC at hand now if it makes it any easier. Thanks for helping me through at these early hours!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Ah yes, I'm pretty sure Quicktime won't understand the VOB file. All of mine is done on the Mac, I'm pretty sure it can be done without losing audio quality too but have to admit this has never been a major concern when making MP3s for my phone! I'll go through it all tomorrow when I get a chance.

A

Anonymous

I really appreciate it, this things been driving me up the bloomin' wall!!

Thanks prof.

A

Anonymous

I have finally done it!! Thank you for all your help.

My process was in the end:

1. Rip DVD to Mac in .VOB format using MacTheRipper.
2. Use Handbrake to convert VOB file to MP4.
3. Use QuickTime Pro to convert .MP4 to .WAV.
4. Open WAV in Audacity and split the tracks up.

I think I've found the longest way around something this simple!

Again, thanks for that I can now listen to my DVD on the move. One last question, the WAV files are a pretty hefty 60mb each, will this give the same kind of quality as an Apple Lossless file? Should I convert to lossless? Or seeing as I've done all this converting should I convert the WAV to AAC?

Basically, is it worth keeping the format in WAV, lossless or AAC?!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Good stuff! I think you could have skipped a step by just using Handbrake to rip the DVD to MP4, but it don't really matter!
Best bet is to use lossless - this will compress the file but won't lose any of the detail.

A

Anonymous

All converted to Lossless, you've all been great throughout. Cheers again.

Lee

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts