Rhapsody in Blue, Porgy and Bess . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have had an experiance listening to CD that was amazing, my 12ft sq, listening room turned into an auditorium tens of metters wide and deep!!! I dipped into my fathers CD's and came out with this:

Louis Lortie – Gershwin: An American In Paris; Rhapsody in Blue

The above is the Spotify version of what I listened too for over an hour. Not so keen on American in Paris or Cuban Overture, but Rhapsody in Blue and A Symphonic Portrait of Porgy and Bess, simply stunning.

If this is what CD can sound like merging on the classics? I'm sold . . . *biggrin*

Curently listening to Spotify:

Louis Lortie – Louis Lortie Plays Chopin, Vol. 1

CJSF

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
CJSF said:
I have had an experiance listening to CD that was amazing, my 12ft sq, listening room turned into an auditorium tens of metters wide and deep!!! I dipped into my fathers CD's and came out with this:

The above is the Spotify version of what I listened too for over an hour. Not so keen on American in Paris or Cuban Overture, but Rhapsody in Blue and A Symphonic Portrait of Porgy and Bess, simply stunning.

If this is what CD can sound like merging on the classics? I'm sold . . . *biggrin*

CJSF

I was introduced to Gershwin's An American in Paris back in 2007 when my son (13yrs at the time) was dancing to it on stage in front of a full orchestra. Afterwards I purchased a Sony Classical Great Performances CD ' Leonard Bernstein Rhapsody in Blue & An American in Paris'. It has become a favorite ever since.

In 2011 we went to a 'Strictly Gershwin' touring show featuring the English National Ballet, a celebration of Gershwin and Hollywood music and dance. Rhapsody in Blue, with the pianists Jonathan & Tom Scott, was simply stunning.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes PP, it is the new half width Apollo R, complimented with matching Rega Dac. I only realy needed a Dac, to go with the old Apollo R but one is tight for space, the two new units together are only 10mm wider than the old Apollo. I did a brief listen to the new Apollo as a stand alone unit, it sounds very good.

Having spent so long upgrading and tweaking the TT side of my system and feeling there was no where else to go 'economicaly and praticaly' . . . The descovery of what can be done with the room and digital source plays into my active mind, and yet one feels this is pure musical enjoyment, a whole new world to compliment what I have been doing over the paste 3 years.

Gershwin was just the tip of the iceberg, I have 200+ unplayed Cd's to listen to, thats unplayed by me, they are my late fathers collection. Then there is the 200+ Cd's in my own ecclectic collection that need re evaluating. As with all media, there will be some very 'poorly recorded dogs' to sort out, all part of the fun? . . . Spotify for convenience and my beloved vinyl as a treat to keep things sweet.

The revelation is 'room treatment', it was not untill one pinned a folded blanket to the wall did I realise just how bad my room sounded and how these simple aditions could alter for the good, my overall musical listening pleasure . . .

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
CJSF said:

CJSF

I was introduced to Gershwin's An American in Paris back in 2007 when my son (13yrs at the time) was dancing to it on stage in front of a full orchestra. Afterwards I purchased a Sony Classical Great Performances CD ' Leonard Bernstein Rhapsody in Blue & An American in Paris'. It has become a favorite ever since.

In 2011 we went to a 'Strictly Gershwin' touring show featuring the English National Ballet, a celebration of Gershwin and Hollywood music and dance. Rhapsody in Blue, with the pianists Jonathan & Tom Scott, was simply stunning.

Hi Jonathan, that sounds like magical memories, its something like that I would like to take my Hazel to, the problems are that she has disability issues and uses a wheel chair outside the house. We had to miss a Kathin Jenkins open air concert in July due to forcast thunder storms, the heavens opened halfway through the evening. So our music and its quality is very important to us at home. Keeping an eye on the local Ipswich Regent theatres program? . . . the uncertainty of open air is for able bodied youngsters?

CJSF

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
You will have great fun exploring your late father's CD collection. Many older "classical" recordings are very fine and of course older performances can be just as good if not better than modern ones.

Chris

PS Benjamin Grosvenor's recording of the Rhapsody is wonderful.

CJSF said:
Yes PP, it is the new half width Apollo R, complimented with matching Rega Dac. I only realy needed a Dac, to go with the old Apollo R but one is tight for space, the two new units together are only 10mm wider than the old Apollo. I did a brief listen to the new Apollo as a stand alone unit, it sounds very good.

Having spent so long upgrading and tweaking the TT side of my system and feeling there was no where else to go 'economicaly and praticaly' . . . The descovery of what can be done with the room and digital source plays into my active mind, and yet one feels this is pure musical enjoyment, a whole new world to compliment what I have been doing over the paste 3 years.

The revelation is 'room treatment', it was not untill one pinned a folded blanket to the wall did I realise just how bad my room sounded and how these simple aditions could alter for the good, my overall musical listening pleasure . . .

CJSF

Good to know the new Apollo-R + Dac has improved things.

Interesting about your blanket experiment: We have some humongously heavy curtains roughly about 18" from the left-hand speaker, and when I take them down for a wash 'n' brush up the sound of the hi-fi changes quite noticeably. You can probably imagine with the curtains and carpets removed the overall quality drops quite significantly.

Enjoy the new sound (CDP and room treatment).

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Covenanter said:
You will have great fun exploring your late father's CD collection. Many older "classical" recordings are very fine and of course older performances can be just as good if not better than modern ones.

Chris

PS Benjamin Grosvenor's recording of the Rhapsody is wonderful.

I am enjoying it, sitting here listening to:

The Fairey Band – Brass Band Gala

Absolutly amazing, the room conditioning has given such a boost to my system imaging, extending the sweet spot . . . sit or stand any where and its making a fair fist of it!!!

So worthwhile, it has brought me closer to my dad, my memories, I can visualise him, headphones on drifting as he listen to his music . . .

CJSF

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
CJSF said:
jonathanRD said:
CJSF said:
I have had an experiance listening to CD that was amazing, my 12ft sq, listening room turned into an auditorium tens of metters wide and deep!!!  I dipped into my fathers CD's and came out with this:

The above is the Spotify version of what I listened too for over an hour.  Not so keen on American in Paris or Cuban Overture, but Rhapsody in Blue and A Symphonic Portrait of Porgy and Bess, simply stunning.

If this is what CD can sound like merging on the classics? I'm sold . . . *biggrin*

CJSF

?

In 2011 we went to a 'Strictly Gershwin' touring show featuring the English National Ballet, a celebration of Gershwin and Hollywood music and dance. Rhapsody in Blue, with the pianists Jonathan & Tom Scott, was simply stunning. ?

Hi Jonathan, that sounds like magical memories, its something like that I would like to take my Hazel to, the problems are that she has disability issues and uses a wheel chair outside the house.  We had to miss a Kathin Jenkins open air concert in July due to forcast thunder storms, the heavens opened halfway through the evening.  So our music and its quality is very important to us at home.  Keeping an eye on the local Ipswich Regent theatres program? . . . the uncertainty of open air is for able bodied youngsters?

CJSF
My son has been dancing since he was 5 yrs old and is now about to begin his third year at musical theatre college in London so we have so many memories already and hopefully many more to come. Over the years I have been introduced (for the first time) to lots of music he has danced to.
I might be biased, but we are very lucky in Cardiff to have 3 major theatres, 2 of which are modern and cater very well in terms of access. In particular the Wales Millennium Centre in Cardiff Bay is a fantastic venue, it is the most visited attraction in Wales. I can thoroughly recommend a weekend in Cardiff, with a visit to Cardiff Bay and the Millennium Centre a must if you ever have the chance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts